AOW dive in the Spiegel Grove after 12 logged dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingCRNA:
How will an AI computer help you?

The AI computer knows your breathing rate and depth, and it can tell you when to ascend to have a given PSI at the surface. This is important for a new diver because they might have 1200 PSI and think that they have plenty to get back to the surface.

Icarusflies:
Hello All;

I have 12 dives and Saturday I dive the Spiegel Grove for my last AOW class and NITROX. Of course I ll be with an instructor that knows me since he certified me OW last month. I have dove every week end for the last 2 months or so and I feel pretty comfortable underwater. However, I have read in the forum horrible stories about the Spiegel Grove and its currents. I ll be diving with my 63 years of father, who has the same number of dives. He is also comfortable in water but hass less fitness. What advice can you give me about diving the SG....Oh, I ll be diving NITROX for the first time and as I said I ll be with an instructor that I trust.

If you're comfortable diving, and you have an instructor, then go for it! The current isn't so bad that it will blow you off the wreck. Just make sure you don't let go of the line while ascending or descending. Always be with a buddy and don't do anything stupid. You'll be fine.

Mafiaman:
Dive safe, Have fun. Your instructor feels you are ready and has seen you and your father dive. None of the people here have. The S.G. is a challenge, Plan your dive as well as your exit strategy with your instructor, follow his lead. and remember there is no shame in bailing out even at the last minute, as a matter of fact it's a sign of wisdom.
Right, because no one has ever died by trusting their instructor. (for plenty of examples: http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&rls=GGGL%2CGGGL%3A2006-27%2CGGGL%3Aen&q=death+instructor+student+scuba&btnG=Search)

Ultimately there is only one person responsible for your safety. "Follow his lead" is synonymous with a trust-me-dive.

HappyFunBoater:
The AI computer knows your breathing rate and depth, and it can tell you when to ascend to have a given PSI at the surface. This is important for a new diver because they might have 1200 PSI and think that they have plenty to get back to the surface.
You're saying don't worry about gas planning; let the computer do it for you. Wonderful.

AevnsGrandpa:
I have ready many many posts and read some books on this dive it is NOT a beginner dive by any means even if you have your AOW and 12 dives and your instructor is there. Please reconsider your decision on this.

What about this instructor who is willing to take a very new dive that just got certified last month to the SG? I think someone needs to talk to him also.

Jeff

I haven't been on the SG but my opinion is that these classes, in general, often take divers too deep, too soon without teaching them enough beforehand.

The agencies and the shops are set up to keep putting the next thing in front of them to keep them comming back and spending money. I'm not against keeping them interested but adding depth or other tasks before you have good solid technique to build on can, and sometimes does, make for a real mess.

I wish that I felt comfortable giving the kind of advice that Mafiaman...ie to go with the instructors judgment. Unfortunately I can't and wouldn't without knowing the instructor.

Based on what I've heard about the wreck and what I know about typical dive training, I wouldn't care to join them on the dive if they baught my plane ticket, paid for the charter and paid me a good hourly wage. I would just rather be someplace else.

There's just so much that's unpracticed, untried and maybe not even yet learned at the 12 dive mark. Not to say that numbers are everything but 12 dives is pretty new. Why not take the skills you have at that point, leave the instructor at home and get some experience applying them to a little nicer, more predictable environment and see how you do? There are plenty of ways to screw that up but even if you do, there's a good chance that you'll get through it to try again.

HappyFunBoater:

If your so green you don't know how to properly plan your gas for a dive, then you shouldn't be down there to begin with, baby steps.

AI computers should not be allowed in the hands of new divers, if people want to do these dives, take the time to learn to do them properly and not rely on a blinking LCD segment on your wrist, I'm fine with computers and even AI computers used as a tool, but this method sounds like using it as your brain or a crutch to make up for lack of knowledge/experience.

HappyFunBoater:
If you're comfortable diving, and you have an instructor, then go for it! The current isn't so bad that it will blow you off the wreck. Just make sure you don't let go of the line while ascending or descending. Always be with a buddy and don't do anything stupid. You'll be fine.

What if he does let go of the line?

loosebits:
Right, because no one has ever died by trusting their instructor. (for plenty of examples: http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&rls=GGGL%2CGGGL%3A2006-27%2CGGGL%3Aen&q=death+instructor+student+scuba&btnG=Search)

Ultimately there is only one person responsible for your safety. "Follow his lead" is synonymous with a trust-me-dive.

Are you implying that having an instructor is no better or even worse than not having one? I suppose there's no need for an instructor during the OW class. Right.

MikeFerrara:
What if he does let go of the line?

That will be covered in the next dive.

Icarus, I would be more concerned about your father who is less fit. There have been several deaths on the SG because of heart failure in divers who are older and/or less fit. Do heed the advice about thumbing the dive in a swift current. Don't even get off the anchor line if you encounter a hard current.

Mike, my AOW instructor took us to 100 feet on a bottomless wall without ever having dived with me. I had over 100 dives at that time, but he didn't know me and I could have lied about it. Everyone says that BOW is a license to learn, but AOW is a license to kill yourself. New divers are urged to take this class after OW and then feel confident to make these dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom