AOW immediately after OW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The shop where I did my certification insists that it is important that I do my AOW immediately now that I got my OW. I'm of the opinion that I want to get some dives under my belt first. Their argument is that the OW is a very limited skillset and getting an AOW will increase my comfort level. My opinion is that comfort level comes through actual experience and time in the water so I should concentrate on that first.

Who do you think is right?

Hopefully, I won't open up the debate too much. Please remember that this is only a personal opinion. Others will (and often do) disagree with much of what I say... :)

It sounds like your training is in-fact a "minimum skill set," as noted by your LDS. Chances are you've been taught to the minimum standard.

OW courses are not taught equally. Over the years, the standards have diminished. My OW requires the student to pass a 400M swimming evaluation before moving on with the training. The course itself is around 50 hours of training time. I teach in a Club setting so time is not a problem; if it takes them a year, no problem. Students must show good performance at every step before they are moved forward in the training. There's no such thing as "pushing them along." The card they get is the same one you've already received.

I tell the new students to gain experience and the only way they can do that is by doing. After 25 hours logged, they can come back to do the advanced (that's another story). :)

I've pointed this out, because if you aren't really ready to be diving, get more instruction. Whatever they call it: Rescue, Advanced, Divemaster keep getting the training until you're a solid diver. You will indeed know; if you don't, you're not ready.

Many divers are certified through a shake and bake system and they are certified because they meet the minimums. For me minimums aren't enough.

I'd also look at other training that's available. Check it out; you might be surprised. Good luck!

Looks like most of those wrecks are around 100-150 feet - so right around the limits for the deep diver specialty and no-deco dives, if I'm not mistaken. The reason I want to do the dry suit specialty is because I may not be home during the warmer months next year to be able to do this and I would love to have some diving to look forward to when I go home in January.

It's great to take the classes, but please read NWGratefulDiver's post and do not do the dives.

A 150' wreck dive takes a considerable amount of training and additional equipment for both you and your regular buddy. And I wouldn't even consider doing this dive with a random boat-buddy.

And a 150' wreck penetration on air is truly taking your life into your hands, at a time when narcosis is making you really stupid.

As he mentioned, it's completely outside the no-deco limits, which means that the surface is no longer an option in an emergency, since an immediate surface after staying for any significant amount of time will bend you if you're lucky or leave you on the surface fizzing bloody froth like a hot can of coke if you're not.

Even if you stick to the "no deco" limits, these are still very deep dives. You should also realize that the "no deco" limits aren't set in stone. Even from within the table limits, if you run OOA and bolt for the surface or simply lose control of your drysuit, you could easily die or get bent.

These dives are certainly possible, but are dives that you would need to work up to with a significant amount of specialized training and a good instructor and additional equipment and a regular buddy that you dive with often.

Terry

Last edited:
Alex Brylske

The revising author and editor is Karl Shreeves. Alex Brylske wrote the content for the first edition. At least in the edition I have in my hands.

And a 150' wreck penetration on air is truly taking your life into your hands, at a time when narcosis is making you really stupid.

Frankly, 150' without penetration with only AOW training on a standard tank (or even a 130) is pushing the limits of safe diving. I forget who, but someone on this board once told me that a good rule of thumb is to go only as deep as the size of your tank in cu.ft. The possibility of failure to retain reasonable gas in case of emergency beyond that limit becomes pretty high.

Maybe I'm on the conservative side of things, but I'd seriously consider getting a lot more training before proceeding to such depths. I'm starting down the path of getting my technical certs at this point, and one thing I'm learning fast is that the training I've had previously isn't close to sufficient.

Frankly, 150' without penetration with only AOW training on a standard tank (or even a 130) is pushing the limits of safe diving. I forget who, but someone on this board once told me that a good rule of thumb is to go only as deep as the size of your tank in cu.ft. The possibility of failure to retain reasonable gas in case of emergency beyond that limit becomes pretty high.
A lot of the folks on the board got it from my article on gas management ... but I first heard it from my colleague, Brian Weiderspan (BDub on the board), when we were co-writing the curriculum for our respective AOW classes. He sat down and did some number-crunching based on measured SAC rates for some of the new divers we were working with and came up with a rule of thumb that worked pretty well for most of them.

Maybe I'm on the conservative side of things, but I'd seriously consider getting a lot more training before proceeding to such depths. I'm starting down the path of getting my technical certs at this point, and one thing I'm learning fast is that the training I've had previously isn't close to sufficient.
Most divers go through a cycle ... at less than 50 dives they understand that they have a lot to learn. At 50 to 100 dives they start to think they've got it all figured out. Somewhere between there and 500 dives they start to think maybe there's more to diving than they realized. And at around 1,000 dives they understand that they have a lot to learn.

The numbers tend to vary with individual divers, but the cycle is fairly predictable ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, old thread but finally after a year and over 50 dives I am signed up for my AOW in 2 weeks :) I still haven't decided on my elective dives but I am pretty excited to do some more training.

Just an FYI, the shop may limit which electives are available. You may want to check with the shop about what they offer.

The shop where I did my certification insists that it is important that I do my AOW immediately now that I got my OW. I'm of the opinion that I want to get some dives under my belt first. Their argument is that the OW is a very limited skillset and getting an AOW will increase my comfort level. My opinion is that comfort level comes through actual experience and time in the water so I should concentrate on that first.

Who do you think is right?

Absolutely, I agree with what the shop is telling you! AOW would give you more time in the water and more knowledge - "Advanced" is really not a good word for the class, because even after you take AOW, you are no way near being an Advanced Diver! If you have the time and money, I would highly recommend it.

"Everyone has an opinion ... the above is mine." :)

sansky; did you notice the most recent posts? The two preceding yours? :confused:

The OP "bumped" this year old thread to say that , finally, after a year and over 50 dives, he is now signed up for AOW. :idk:

Great stuff k374.
Now it's back to my comprehension practice.
See you down there.

Back
Top Bottom