AOW near-drowning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tatek

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A little over a year ago, I was involved in a near-drowning during an AOW class. The events of that day made me completely re-examine my diving. I'm posting here in the hope that as many divers as possible can benefit from this experience. I will be deliberately vague about names, exact locations, etc. because I have no desire to place blame; what made me post this is the fact that, while mistakes were made, I think that many of these mistakes are being made by many divers all over the word, but most get away with them and make the same mistakes (with greater confidence) on future dives. I will present the incident as I remember it. I apologize in advance for the length of the post.
I had made five dives since my OW class and had recently moved; I saw this particular AOW class as a good introduction to a new dive shop, quarry, and diving community. I had never met my buddy before the first morning of the class; she had been certified for several years and had between 40 and 50 dives. As we were gearing up for the dive, my buddy mentioned that she had awakened with a migraine that morning but wanted to make the dives and felt up to it. We didn't talk much as we got ready to dive, in part becuase the weather was poor (torrential downpour) and we were all eager to get in the water. I assumed that my buddy was diving some gear that was new to her, since our instructor was helping her assemble some components of it. I was using rental equipment that was similar to what I had used in the past (we were both diving AL 80's, vest-type BC's, and full wetsuits). We did not really do buddy checks.
While a couple of assistant instructors supervised weight checks in a shallow section of the quarry, other instructors led the divers already checked to the assembly point in a deeper section of the quarry. My buddy and I were the last checked (neither of us were the fastest to don our gear, and she had had some trouble donning her tank and BC in shallow water). I was weight-checked first, and was sent toward the assembly point. I moved slowly to limit separation from my buddy until her weight check was complete and she caught up. The last of the assistant instructors started off behind her but quickly caught up. At about the time he was passing us, my buddy said that she didn't feel well and was calling the dive. The assistant instructor encouraged her to continue, telling her that she would be okay. My buddy again said that she was calling the dive and turned back toward our entry point (we were in a fairly narrow cove at this time, and though we were probably 60-75 feet from our entry point, we were perhaps half that distance from shore). I stayed more or less where I was, not wanting to move off without my buddy, but also not wanting to be separated from the rest of the class without a buddy.
About halfway back to shore (and 30 feet or so from me), my buddy went under water. I believe that the assistant instructor (who was about 20 feet to the other side, offshore, of me) thought that she had gone back on air for the remainder of the swim, and I though the same. When I took a look back at the point where she had left the surface, I saw no bubbles and asked the assistant instructor if he did. I had started to move back toward shore by this time, and the assistant instructor alerted the other divers that there appeared to be a problem.
When I got to the point where I had lost sight of my buddy, I looked underwater and saw a few very small bubbles (the type that would escape from gear, not from exhalation). I called out to the assistant instructor that I saw bubbles, and he told me to dive on them (we were only in 10-15 feet of water at this point, but I would estimate visibility in that part of the quarry at less than five feet). I deflated my BC and followed the bubbles, catching sight of the blade of a fin (visibility was so poor that I could only see from the fin tip to mid-thigh). I found my buddy unresponsive on the bottom with her regulator out and mask off. After trying unsuccessfully to inflate her BC, I inflated mine and brought us both to the surface.
By the time we reached the surface, the assistant instructor and a number of divers from another shop who were doing a SI nearby arrived, removed her BC, and helped move her to the beach. The divers who checked a pulse reported none and CPR was started. Two DAN O2 kits and some other medical gear were available fairly quickly. After about a minute of CPR, my buddy started breathing, and by the time the ambulance arrived, she was talking and generally oriented.
My buddy was discharged from the hospital the following day; I was told that little was found to be medically wrong. We have not spoken since that dive, so after she entered the ambulance I know nothing other than third-hand information and speculation. The class went on, though I chose not to participate.
Some of my thoughts on what went wrong:
My buddy chose to dive after awakening with a migraine.
An instructor tried to talk a diver who had called a dive into continuing.
My buddy and I did not communicate well before the dive, we were not familiar with each other's gear, and we did not do buddy checks.
Buddy teams were separated (I believe, in fact, that two divers in the water did not have buddies but were waiting for buddy teams to be assigned). When the instructors encouraged us (individually) to move out to the assembly point, I allowed myself to be separated from my buddy although I knew better. I then allowed her to head back to shore alone because I was concerned about being left on shore without a buddy.
My unfamiliarity with my buddy's gear (and a bit of panic) prevented me from operating her BC correctly; it functioned perfectly well later. That same bit of panic led me to quickly inflate my BC insead of kincking to the surface, which could have been problematic in deeper water.
Some of my thoughts on what went right:
My buddy had the sense to call the dive when she began to feel really uncomfortable and to stick with that decision even as an instructor tried to talk her out of it.
I was fortunate enough to find my buddy quickly (she was probabably only under water for 60 seconds).
There was well-trained help available on the surface; I am a physician and had finished the NOAA Dive Medical Officer course two weeks earlier, at least one other physician was present, and the instructors and rescue divers from both shops involved performed admirably (and would have done quite well with no medical professionals involved). I have been involved with rescusitations in hospitals that did not go as smoothly as this one did.
I had an excellent OW instructor and, through my dive medicine training, had the opportunity to work with military, commercial and scientific divers. I knew how things should have been done even though I did not put that knowlege into practice as well as I might have. My buddy and I also owe a lot to a lifeguard instructor who, many years ago, showed me a video of drowning victims. Just before she went under, my buddy bobbed like those swimmers, and I think that's what made me look closely for bubbles.
My general conclusions:
Many of us (divers, DM's, instructors, etc.) take shortcuts even though we know better. The more times we get away with these shortcuts, the more we are encouraged to take the same shortcut again. This incident, like almost every serious incident in and out of diving, involved not one or two mistakes, but a cluster of mistakes that conspired to create a near-disaster. I am sure that everyone involved had done similar things in the past. Looking back on the few dives that I had done prior to this one, I can identify a number of other occasions when someone I was diving with or I made bad decisions that could have ended badly. My luck held on those dives.
I remember a feeling of disbelief in the seconds after I found my buddy. I figured that she was unlikely to survive, and while I knew that divers sometimes lost buddies on wrecks and in caves I knew that it wasn't supposed to happen in a class in a quarry. I fear that too many recreational divers prepare for what is likely to happen rather than what could happen. Diving is not Disney World; while it is enjoyable, there are inherent hazards and if one expects to enjoy their dives unscathed one must be prepared to act appropriately. We're not just along for the ride. After that dive, the DIR/GUE concepts that seemed a little over-the-top in the past sound much more reasonable.
I have not been on SCUBA since that day. I have decided that, at this point, I don't have the time to devote to the sport to be sufficiently "sharp". I continue to snorkel and freedive, which has its own hazards but is far less complex. I may return to SCUBA at some point, but when I do it will be with more time to practice the sport and a trusted buddy (and possibly with a Hogarthian rig and some GUE training). My non-breathing buddy's face in murky water is a sight I don't believe I'll ever forget; very few divers have had the good fortune to see that sight, learn the lessons that come with it, and have all parties involved healthy at the end.

Tatek,

Thank you for posting your experience. Your post was well-composed and well-presented. I think you came to the correct conclusions with regard to the conduct of the dive.

On the other hand, I would hope that you can take this experience, share it (as you have here), hope that others learn from it (as you obviously have), and move on to be a better and safer diver. I cannot and will not tell you that you must get back in the water on SCUBA, but I personally feel that you have some excellent perspective and could use this to share with future buddies. The important lessons of not diving when feeling sub-par and remaining close to your buddy, even on the surface, should not go unnoticed. You have definitely made the first large step here by posting.

I certainly hope you do find your way back to diving in your own time. Until then, thank you for sharing.

Thanks for sharing, hopefully lots of divers will read the post and learn from it.

I hope that one day you will find a good buddy and get back to diving, just do not listen to an instructor / DM that is convincing you to continue with a dive when you don't feel is right.

Prolonged exposure without incident leads to loss of appreciation of risk... I see it all the time. There's no such thing as a routine dive. Thanks for posting.

Excellent post. Thanks for posting and your follow up thoughts were on point as well.

I can't actually imagine what it would have been like to have experienced that as part of my AOW class. I think I would have stopped diving without even thinking about getting into it at a later time.

I can tell you that the emphasis on team will please you, should you pursue any kind of DIR dive training.

Thank you for posting this, and if you ever want to talk about options for the future, please feel free to PM me.

Tatek, outstanding post with some excellent lessons for us all. No matter what your skill level, it is too easy to become complacent and skip steps, especially when there has been no reminder in our lives as to WHY we do those steps. Well, here's a reminder.

You should also be commended for your lifesaving actions. At first I was a little surprised that the instructor suggested YOU (the student) go down to find her, but then upon reflection I realized that in the water seconds count...and you were closer. When it's life and death, you do what you have to do. But the reality is that you were not trained for that type of rescue, and rescuing divers in trouble can be dangerous if you're not properly trained. So you put your own life in jeopardy to save hers. She is very fortunate!

I once found myself in a situation of having to rescue a diver...and I'm not rescue trained either (just AOW so far). It was also an insta-buddy situation, with a woman who was new to diving, and had new gear that she wasn't comfortable with, and wasn't fitting her properly. I shouldn't have done the dive with her (my husband was sitting this one out, and nobody else would dive with her - believe me, I took HEAPS of flak in here for my decision to go with her!). It was a bottomless wall dive, and upon descending she started dropping like a rock and couldn't seem to stop her descent. I power-finned down to her and managed to grab her inflator tube and pump air into her BC to stop her descent and get her neutral. I just did it on instinct, because, well, I didn't want to see somebody DIE! And she hadn't gotten that far away from me yet, so I could still get to her. But I was told later I shouldn't have done it - she was showing signs of panic (eyes so big they filled her mask), and I wasn't trained for what to do if she'd panicked, or really any proper rescue techniques. And while I realize that is technically correct, I couldn't just let this woman drop into the void when I could do something about it, untrained though I might have been.

It made me realize that I really need to go get my rescue diver training. (And I still haven't done it! BAD LeeAnne!)

I would agree with TSandM that DIR training would be something that would appeal to you, on a number of levels. (I'm not DIR myself, but I did attend a fundies lecture and have several DIR buddies.) I hope you decide to keep diving.

One comment I wanted to make on this: as someone who suffers migraines myself, I find it troubling that your buddy decided to go ahead with a dive while suffering a migraine headache. Of course it's entirely possible she didn't actually have a real migraine - lots of people call their everyday headaches "migraines" to exaggerate the severity, but then why would she tell you, a relative stranger that she had one? So assuming it was really a migraine...it is absolutely NUTS to go diving when you are suffering from one! A migraine is a serious neurological event, and it can impair you in so many different ways, any one of which render someone completely incapable of diving. Even if she'd taken something for it - well, that actually makes it WORSE! Most of the meds that will have any impact at all on a true migraine are also impairing - drowsiness, confusion, etc. Diving on drugs. And then there's the bounce-back - migraines are notorious for going away temporarily, and then bouncing back even worse. In fact I'm wondering, based on your description, if that's what happened to her. Your description of her seeming fine, and then suddenly calling the dive as if something had gone wrong...sounds like it could have been a migraine bounce-back.

In any case, I can't imagine too many migraine sufferers who need this lesson, but in case there is one out there...for pete's sake, don't dive with a migraine! I get them occasionally, and I wouldn't DREAM of going in the water for at least several days afterwards.

So what did the "third-hand information and speculation" tell you about what actually happened? Ok, she wasn't feeling well, so she may have passed out on the swim back, but that doesn't normally cause someone who is positive at the surface to suddenly sink. And the calm manner in which she seems to have gone under water doesn't indicate panic either, so I wonder what caused her to lose her mask.

So what did the "third-hand information and speculation" tell you about what actually happened? Ok, she wasn't feeling well, so she may have passed out on the swim back, but that doesn't normally cause someone who is positive at the surface to suddenly sink. And the calm manner in which she seems to have gone under water doesn't indicate panic either, so I wonder what caused her to lose her mask.

Stefo, the OP made it clear that he doesn't know what actually happened. He never spoke to her again, and never received any further direct information. Anything he might offer at this point would be total conjecture on his part.

But if you want to head down the road of pure WAGs, I can take a shot at one and suggest that it's entirely possible this was related to her migraine headache. I shudder at the thought of even considering doing something as dangerous as diving while suffering from one. Symptoms of a true migraine include intense, throbbing pain; severe sensitivity to light and sound; nausea & vomiting; and visual disturbances (flashing lights, blind spots, auras). Many migraines are accompanied by neurological dysfunctions such as confusion, paralysis or weakness on one side of the body, and fainting/loss of conciousness. I personally have experienced all of these symptoms, and would only go diving with a migraine if I was suicidal.

Most migraines cause pain too intense to be able to function normally, much less participate in taxing sporting activities...so if she was actually experiencing one and chose to go diving anyway, then she may very well have taken medication for it. However, the most common and effective migraine meds involve some pretty severe side effects, such as dizziness; drowsiness; feeling of heaviness, pressure, or tightness; feeling strange; mild, temporary flushing; muscle aches; nausea; neck stiffness; pain in throat or sinus discomfort; tight feeling in the head; tingling; vomiting; warm/hot sensation; weakness. Not a good condition to be in when you are scuba diving.

Given that she stated that she woke up with one, and migraine attacks generally last between 4 and 72 hours, I think that it's reasonable to assume that this could have been caused by the migraine.

As for why she sank, note that it is very common for students to be overweighted. If she didn't have any air in her BC, and didn't have the mental acuity to pump some in, then loss of conciousness might very well have caused her to sink.

But since it happened a year ago, and the OP has never spoken to the victim since, it seems unlikely that a definitive answer will be provided here.

Back
Top Bottom