AOW question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of the classes, I think by far the most important one was buoyancy... we did it third (our second day there) and it really, really helped with the rest of our weeks worth of diving... it wasn't just the techniques, it was the feedback from the instructor on how to improve that helped. I saw a video of me diving later in the week, everything was streamlined and trim, I was horizontal, using breath control to move up, around and through the coral beds without touching anything and with my hands tucked properly and I was like "Whoa! That is me?".

This is wonderful, and that's what an AOW buoyancy class should do!

Ok, so there's one skill in AOW that is worthwhile. Peak Performance Buoyancy.

It really should be part of OW, no?

I'm very happy for the OP and the other poster that just completed their AOW, I just think that ppl are short changed by not being taught the basics well.

Of course, if you're posting here, you're probably already converted so the preaching isn't necessary. But a lot of AOW divers might as well be DSDs.

Focus on getting your skills right, practise, then practise then practise some more. If you're at home underwater then the individual skills will be just that. Individual, singular. If not, you're trying to deal with multiple un-mastered skills at the same time. You'll fail, irrespective of what your instructor grants you.

I'm still a newbie but the most enlightening thing for me has been drills, drills, drills. Get diving in the quarry or in the pool every week. You'll come along ten times as quick as any course will.

Instruction is lovely, but time underwater is better. IMHO.

I guess i should consider myself lucky. My instructors came from a family of divers (2 sons were instructors, dad is a DM and youngest daughter is a rescue diver working towards being a DM). Their shop was for sometime in charge of training the local police in search, reascue and recovery. As part of the OW package they gave us the option to take the Basic Underwater Search Rescue and Recovery Operations Course (BUSRROC) that they teach the local police. But it was made clear that it was no longer part of the PADI standard and it is optional to anyone in the group. Out of 13 that finished the OW course 11 went on through with the BUSRROC course but only 6 of finished the course.

Skills taught were Limited/Low visibility diving, Night Diving, Navigation and Search and Recovery. In the pool we also dealt with "panic management" and dealing and rescuing panicked divers. Much of what they taught us came from the PADI AOW manual.

It was very basic but we had put the skills the good use. They require 4 dives for the chekout dive but we also did 3 fun dives were they allowed us to navigate to one of our favorite sites from the resort. They also allow us to go night diving but since it didnt come with a PADI card, we can only do night dives with them. At least until we go for AOW where the skills we learned which are applicable to AOW will be credited.

My instructor also allows me "assist" with his current OW pool classes. But i dont really assist, i just go there to play in the pool and practice skills i feel i need to practice. I opted not to go to AOW yet as i need to save up for my own gear. Once i have my own gear, that's the time ill go for AOW.

so an update. I did my AOW at Boyton Beach Fla. it was a 3 day trip, with a great instructor, and great water. no wind to speak of and 50-60 ft vis most of the time. I also got nitrox in the same weekend. I am preparing for my drysuit this winter since there is not a lot going on and when the weather warms a bit will be moving on to rescue. thanks for all the great responses and posts about your experiences, and classes. They were all very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom