AOW & Rescue Class Options - Nor Cal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blewgrass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning to take these classes to move toward my UC certification and I am seeking the wisdom of the many divemasters that live here on scubaboard. I am SSI certified but have no problem changing to NAUI or PADI for the other classes.

I have checked out Sport Chalet in Vacaville (one hour from me) and the prices are super good ($125 per class) with PADI and the check out dives in Mendocino at Van Damme or Noyo.

The other options are at least double the price.

I also see that many of you here are dive masters. Does that mean I just call you up and say "Hi, can I get certified?" or do I have to request you through an agency or dive shop? That also leads me to ask what an "unaffiliated" dive master does with his/her credentials.

Thanks

Steve Boyd

Divemasters are not allowed to perform the certifications you mention. One must be an Instructor in order to do AOW and Rescue certs. Instructors can be "unaffiliated" or affiliated with a store.

Thank you for the distinction. Does divemaster allow an individual to assist instructors in classes?

Hey Steve, I shot you a PM about the classes! We still need to get together and get some diving in!!!

Yes, Divemaster will allow you to assist an instructor with classes as well as conduct other programs such as discover scuba, discover snorkeling, discover local diving, lead paid guided tours and things of that nature...

Steve.

I sent you a PM of one of the finest Instructors in Nor-Cal, He is an independent Instructor as well as through Dolphin Scuba center Sacramento, He is better then most come.

I think he will give you a great deal and far better Instruction then even myself could give you, Call him and see what he can do for you!

Blewgrass, I am doing my AOW on Nov 8th in Monterey with Pinnacale Dive (santa rosa, and novato) with instruction and boat it is 250. I live in Petaluma now, and am itching to get some dives between now and then as well.

Thanks for all the PM's and info. We should hook up and dive Josh, Robert, and all... I'm taking some time consuming Nursing classes, but I will have some weekend time for diving!!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom