AOW Thailand Help Please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi fellow divers. I need your expert opinion. I tried diving last year and completed my OW in Koh Tao in march of 2006, the visibility was great and it was an amazing experience. It's a whole new world down there and I enjoyed it. However, since I usually seek excitement out of sports that I do like skiing, surfing, parachuting, etc. I guess I was hoping to get more excited perhaps see sharks, (whatever to remember), or wreck diving. I'm not sure. But maybe I'll come across later.

I will be going back to Thailand again in march this time to phuket/phi phi/krabi and was wondering:
1) is it worthwhile to do my AOW since it seems to be cheaper over there?

2) Where is the best recommended location for diving and the school in the andaman side (ie areas of phuket/phi phi/krabi) for AOW?

3) I heard there is wreck diving in pattaya, is it better to get my AOW there and do the wreck or andaman offers better diving?

Thanks so much.

AOW is worth it. Saves you a lot.

Wreck diving is very much better in Pattaya - but the viz is not like Koh Tao 5-10 meters. Pattaya is not that cheap though.........AOW is about 200 US.

Go to Phuket - if you come to the Similans Islands of Phuket you are a happy camper. But that depends on when you are going.

My AOW was not much more than $200 here in the US. But then again we did no boat dives.

emerald4ever:
2) Where is the best recommended location for diving and the school in the andaman side (ie areas of phuket/phi phi/krabi) for AOW?

3) I heard there is wreck diving in pattaya, is it better to get my AOW there and do the wreck or andaman offers better diving?

Between Phuket and Pattaya - its Phuket hands down for diving.

Pattaya has three wrecks routinely dived (Hardeep, Kram and Kud). Of these, only Hardeep is "special". Viz varies (4 to 10 meters, depending), quite often strong currents. Pattaya itself is an aquired taste. Depending upon your point of view it either has a "vibrant nightlife" or its a "sleeze pit". YMMV.

Phuket water is much better generally 15+ meters, with the possibility of good marine life. There is a reasonable wreck off phuket (the King Cruiser), but the water quality and marine life are significantly better than in Pattaya. Overall, Phuket is more tame in its night life than Pattaya (but probably so was sodom and gomorrah).
-j-

Hi,
I'd definately recommend doing your AOW, just because it gives you much more confidence, is so much more fun than the Open Water, and more importantly you get to go deeper and therefore get to see much more stuff! Like in Koh Tao where I have done much of my training, you can see sharks, but not at 18m, you need to be more qualified so you can go deeper, then you're swimming at the same level as the sharks, about 26m!!!! its wonderful!
As I said, I've done most of my training on Koh Tao, last summer. I've just got back from spending January there, and have already booked my next trip there in July!!! so I can understand your attraction. I hear that the west coast is completely different and it depends on the time of year you want to go, at certain times of the year climate and Visability is best on the East and at others it is the West! but I'm Biased and will always return to Koh Tao- regardless of weather and vis!!!
With regards to dive school, as I'm sure you're aware from reading other people's messages, there are a lot of monkeys out there and people that don't respect the environment or you as a diver, nor do they give you the time you deserve, because at the end of the day you are a paying customer! Personally, when I reached Koh Tao I was an OW diver with little experience and confidence, so I did a few fun dives with a few different shops to see who I liked best. I chose to go with Big Blue, who were amazing and gave me the time I needed, their staff were very experienced and friendly. the ambiance of the school was good as well, which is important, especially when you're going to invest money with them! I did my AOW with them loved it so much that I cancelled my travelling plans and stayed to do my Dive Master!

So my advice to you is to find out which side you want to go to, East or West! remeber that they are different! Also have a look at a few different dive shops when you get there, don't get pushed into anything and take your time! Also have a look at the dive shop I went with, I can't recomend them enough, I know they have a shop on Koh Tao (obviously) but I think they have one somehere on the West as well, check out their website www.bigbluediving.com
but most of all have fun!!! let me know how you get on and if you want ne more advice (or not)!

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Now I know I will be doing my AOW and in Phuket. I checked out the big blue guys and they have a very nice website. However, they are not directly in Phuket. So I have to do some research and find some other alternatives in Phuket area so when I come back from diving I still be in the action! If you know of any good diving schools in that area please let me know.

Thanks alot.

Phuket is full or schools - most of which are good. Personally I can recomend Phuket Scuba Club - I think a guy( or gal) called Ringo posts here. look on the Thai travel board, or Scuba cat. Ask to get a video done by Matt....and mention me.

I'm bias but I perfer Phi Phi...lots of great schools I know there. Msg me if you want to know more about PP but you'll have fun in Phkt for sure. I prefer to stay outside of Patong - it can get a bit much there - try Kata ( great for P scuba club)

Most important bit of advice i'd give for the AOW is make sure the instructor knows what they are talking about. If you teach a basic AOW straight from the PADI book, it can be a very boring course - if you get and enthusiastic ( and even better enthusiastic experinced instructor) it will be a superb course. My fav electives are

Peak buoyancy - no question about it - you have to do it.
Photography - lots of fun, you learn a new skill and get a record of the dive - make sure it's digital though - better value for money
yuo should really do a night dive - it's not my fav and instructors don't really enjoy going out at night except to Bangla rd :wink: but it is SOOOOO different. Try it with an instructor. If you like it great if not, at least you'll know.

deep - this is a real important one. ask the instructor how they teach it - if they don't really know go elsewhere.

Nav - often badly taught. Again ask what / how the instructor will teach. Is it simply "once around the block with a compas, and then get on with the dive" or is there some other meaning to the course......??? If they can't tell you the answer then they don't know how to teach it properly. There is a good reason why it's manditory.

Enjoy...you'll find the diving in the andeman way better than Tao !!! Ha Ha, the great debate continues !!

Back
Top Bottom