AOW to DM questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaroddunn

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello I am currently an AOW diver and am interested in obtaining my DM certification. I did my OW near Sydney and my AOW in Koh Tao, Thailand. I would like to do my DM in Mexico/Central/South America to add some diversity. Can anyone recommend a respectable place to do this? If I just choose the best one for the value will it affect my ability to obtain employment thereafter? I am looking to go work in the South Africa/ Zimbabwe/ Madasgascar area. Would it be easier to obtain my DM there and then just have the contacts to get a job easier? Any/all helpful responses are appreciated.

Good instructors matter the most. They're the ones that teach you and DM courses can vary hugely in quality, just like OW can vary hugely.

Find a good shop + instructors and your experience with the shops will matter more since it will be the way that you become accustomed to working. You'll develop a style, which is what will ultimately determine your quality as a DM and hence your employability.

I am looking to go work in the South Africa/ Zimbabwe/ Madasgascar area. Would it be easier to obtain my DM there and then just have the contacts to get a job easier?

That would be my recommendation. You'll not only have contacts, but "local experience" in the area you're targeting.

1. As a DM you are responsible for the safety of the divers. Your survival and safety are the last consideration in any situation, your first duty is to the diver(s) you are DM for. Remember in an emergency, if one diver is dead, it had better be you.
2. Local knowledge is one of the things a DM is needed for. So getting experience in the waters you are going to be working is important.
3. DM = poorly paid hard labor; chasing students, leading tourist, schlepping gear etc. First to the dive site/boat, last to leave.
4. The rules allow you to become a DM at 50 dives. But as a "Dive Professional" IMHO you should have much more experience than that. At 50 dives you are just barely remembering to do your 3 minute safety stop.
5. Best way to ruin a great hobby is to make it your job. As you local dive professional when the last pleasure dive was. Why rush.

5. Best way to ruin a great hobby is to make it your job. As you local dive professional when the last pleasure dive was. Why rush.

While this rings true on so many levels, sometimes - if money is not the goal, then a hobby turned job can be a terrific opportunity.

Does this thread belong in the New Divers and Those Considering Diving forum?

While I understand where you are coming from if you look at his profile you will notice that this is his inaugural post and that he has fewer than 25 logged dives. Therefore, this is the right place for him to be even if he is asking a more advanced level question. Not all new diver questions are beginner level ones.

jaroddunn, if I were you I would opt for gaining experience where you plan on looking for employment, as has been pointed out previously. However, if you really want to be an effective Divemaster you really should consider slowing down on the transition to dive pro and just focus on gaining more experience and competence at the recreational level. The experience that you gain will not only make you a more attractive prospect to potential employers, but it will make the DM course that much easier when you do take it (it is challenging enough as is).

Given the number of DCs I've been seeing with <100 dives, I'd say it's the perfect place for it.

if you really want diversity in your diving, take your DM in Vancouver, Canada

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom