AP Diving BCDs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't believe that Military Grade is optimal for recreational use. In some cases it's more about rapid deployment than anything else. Or being standardized, simple to use, ultra reliable/redundant etc.

Where are you going to get one? And as important - a AP Diving BCD serviced in North Jersey - or even anywhere in the U.S.? Assuming that's New Jersey.

Silent Diving, their U.S. Distributor - only handles the Inspiration Rebreather line and distributes it to their dealers. I suppose you could contact some of them and see if they also handle the BCD's or can get them. Dealers Eastern USA - Silent Diving AP stands for Ambient Pressure indicating their rebreather business.

Backup breathing off your BCD makes me queasy also. I wouldn't want to breathe what runs out of it when I flush mine. And if you buy their Octo/Inflator now you need a dealer with trained techs and parts availability to service it along with your primary. Even if you found someone willing to service it, they need the parts kit. Both look proprietary as far as parts also. Or you could replace it later with a generic inflator assuming it's a standard size fitting.

Personally I'd pass.

It looks like I'll be getting on our soon to be created ESU team and was browsing military grade dive gear when I came across APs page. If there was at least a regional repair/service dealer, it might be worth looking into more. Not having that within easy reach presents its own set of problems. I was just primarily wondering what experiences people have had with them.

Has anyone used one of their BCs and if so, how was your experience with it? Military grade gear.
Yes, I used a Seaking for 25 years, 25kg of lift. I traveled all over the world with it. But I replaced their inflator control with a scubapro one, theirs failed at the first hint of sand. Sent it back for service once, just before I sold it.

I've never used one, but I have to say that getting it serviced would not be a factor for me. The only things I've ever serviced on a BC are a boat load of inflators and two punctured wings. For the inflators, I just switch out to Zeagle's with the Hose threads at the first sign of trouble. Makes flushing the BC and the inflator incredibly easy. In addition, if they start to have a problem, I just replace the automotive style Schraeder valve which is available at almost every auto parts store and even Walmart.

ESU stands for Emergency Services Unit?

Zeagle makes a couple models for PSD's - Professional

remember that in the diving world, mil-spec and military grade does not mean that it is the best for diving, just the best for what they need it for. Often that is rapid response, and various other niche things that you won't actually be doing. My recommendation would be to call Tobin at Deep Sea Supply, Mike at Dive Right in Scuba, and the guys over at Air Hogs Scuba and get their input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom