apeks fsr vs dst first stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i know the xtx200 is considered by most apeks users as the cream of the crop. and i do love mine. but is there really any noticeable difference when using them or maintaining them etc. is the dst a big step down for any reason
The XTX200 is the high end, although in terms of actual performance, I have trouble distinguishing it from the XTX50. I have a couple of ATX200 second stages and really like them. I suspect part of that is subjective perception, not objective performance differences, however.

No, the DST is NOT a big (or even a small) step down. I am probably a bit biased, as I tend to favor Apeks regs in general. I have several DSTs, a couple of FSTs and a couple of FSRs. Honestly, I have trouble distinguishing between them, u/w. I have used each type below 200' (with an ATX200) and find the ease of breathing to be similar. There may be others on SB who have different experiences, who will hopefully share those.

For what it is worth, I also have a couple of US4s paired with AT20 second stages, and they WILL free flow in cold (45 degree) water. So, the environmental seal is, for me at least, worth having.

Usually the second stage affects breathing more than the first stage does, so you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a US4 and FSR underwater. I could be wrong but besides cosmetics I think the only difference in the second stages is the 100 and 200 series use a bigger heat sink or whatever they call it.

---------- Post added December 18th, 2013 at 04:51 PM ----------

For what it is worth, I also have a couple of US4s paired with AT20 second stages, and they WILL free flow in cold (45 degree) water. So, the environmental seal is, for me at least, worth having.

The AT20s do not have a heat sink (or whatever Apeks calls it) just a plastic spacer, so it could be the second stage causing the freeflow rather than the first. As Fishpie mentioned usually diaphragm regulators are more freeze resistant than piston ones.

Usually the second stage affects breathing more than the first stage does, so you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a US4 and FSR underwater. I could be wrong but besides cosmetics I think the only difference in the second stages is the 100 and 200 series use a bigger heat sink or whatever they call it......
The adjusting screw on the 2nd stage(100 and 200) is more complicated than the one on 50.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom