Question Apeks Luna Advanced: worth the price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alwayscold

Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering the Apeks Luna Advanced (3600 lumens) but it's considerably more expensive than most of the others in the same category (3600lm, cordless). Does anyone have experience with this one vs others with similar specs -- is it really worth the price difference?

I have one in the store. It's fairly impressive to handle.

I'm more impressed with the pattern than either luna lights.

Oh I thought you were talking about the new corded lights

I use a Luna ADV regularly. Definitely a nice light out put.

I'm considering the Apeks Luna Advanced (3600 lumens) but it's considerably more expensive than most of the others in the same category (3600lm, cordless). Does anyone have experience with this one vs others with similar specs -- is it really worth the price difference?
Do you need 3600 lumens?

I have the Luna (2000 lumens), not the Luna advance. Got it as a gift from my GF, and I was kind of pissed at the price she had to pay but didn't voice it :D Now, 1.5 years later, 270 tech and rec dives, took a hell of a beating in wrecks and on rocks (a really bad one in the Galapagos), and the bloody thing is still a monster. Still gives me an accurate 2 hours and 1 minute on full charge at maximum brightness as if it just came out of the box. I don't even look at the indicator to check if my dive is not more than 2 hours (it made me complicit). I'm so happy I got this for free haha..

Oh I thought you were talking about the new corded lights

I use a Luna ADV regularly. Definitely a nice light out put.

2 questions:

- the specs say 20 degree beam, which seems ridiculously wide for a tech light. What is it really like? Have you compared the size of the spot, in the water, to any other lights I might have seen?

- is it constant output? I.e. if you set it to 3600 lumen output, does it maintain 3600 lumens for the full 2 hours that the manual claims for run time?

I looked at the manual. This light has the ability to "program" it so that instead of:

3600 lumens for 2 hours on High
1200 for 6 on M
600 for 12 on L

you have options for 5 other modes. For example:

1800 lumens for 4 hours on High
600 for 12 on M
200 for 36 on L

I think that is really cool!

If it is indeed "constant output" and the beam angle is actually useful (i.e. way better than 20 degrees sounds), then it probably is a reasonable price (I'm seeing $849) for what you're getting.

I looked at the manual. This light has the ability to "program" it so that instead of:

3600 lumens for 2 hours on High
1200 for 6 on M
600 for 12 on L

you have options for 5 other modes. For example:

1800 lumens for 4 hours on High
600 for 12 on M
200 for 36 on L

I think that is really cool!

If it is indeed "constant output" and the beam angle is actually useful (i.e. way better than 20 degrees sounds), then it probably is a reasonable price (I'm seeing $849) for what you're getting.
I'm sure someone will answer you specifically for the ADV, as for the normal Luna, I can confirm that after 1.5 years of constant usage, the 2000 lumens output remain consistent and accurately 2 hours and 1 minute ( I run it down from time to time to deplete the battery completely). The light doesnt even flicker at 01%. The beam angle is perfect for me. I would assume that the Luna ADV, which is stronger/more expensive, would perform equally well.

Apeks did a good job on this product line I think

Back
Top Bottom