Apeks question or 3...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks a million, Mario. That is most likely it then. And you may be correct about his stock, as well. But what about the cold water deal? Does this in turn make the reg unsuitable for 40 degree water? So it's basically a fancy spring adjustment.

Warhammer,
Basically so, it's a matter of swapping the Counter Balance Cylinder for a shorter one. I would highly recommend that if you plan on diving in water where the temp is around 40 or below, either don't have it changed out or choose a different reg more suitable for your area.

Nah, no time soon anyway. If only had a suitcase full of money, soz I could buy a new drysuit! I'm gonna shoot for a drysuit before the years end, but will just have to wait and see. Until then I want be diving in 40 or below.:) Even then the water here rarely gets that cold anyway. And it can always be changed out later, but if it isn't already I won't change it. Besides I still have to demo the highly regarded MK20/S600-G500-G250, wait on your DEMA report, and then make a final decision. Thanks for the info, bro.

One more angle bro, what's your certification limit? If you are a DiveMaster you are entitled to a 50% discount for a lot of different gear. If not, there's one other reason to earn your card. It pays off finacially...

I'll most likely keep going until I run out of places to go. I'm PADI AOW right now, planning to take the first available Rescue Course this spring, then I don't really know from there. I had thought about just continuing with speacialties and then to the Master Diver level and possibly some tech classes after that. But the DM sounds promising with those type discounts! I should squeeze it in this summer before buying a drysuit! That one purchase alone would pay for the course. Trouble is, that around here there really isn't any quality shops or instructors. Closest being in North Alabama, which is 100/120 miles from me. That would make an involved course, like the DM, difficult to pull off. However the instructor there is top notch and offers everything from OW to full cave, deco, trimix and everything in between in. All of which he is very active in. But I'd have to loose the gut first and get back in shape! I doubt I could make the swim.:) Is it 500 or 1000 meters, can't remember which?

Warhammer,
Cool as long as you don't become a DM JUST for the discounts. There are other factors to consider such as paying yearly membership dues, upkeeping insurance and increaded liability. Are you aware that you are supposed to carry professional liability insurance for seven years after you help train the last student.

Every Rose has it's Thorns,

and rain on my parade.:) I knew you had to carry the insurance as long as you were active and that you had to complete at least 12 dives annually and assest with at least 2 classes. I didn't know you had to carry it for 7 years after the fact, nor did I know you had to pay membership dues. Thought the dues were for instructors only. Honestly, I have no desire to actually work as a DM for, too far from the water. But helping with a few classes every now and then would be neat. Don't know, we'll see.

Mario answered the question about the kit. And my dealer answered my email to him this morning and his explanation was exactly what Mario said in regards to the kit. He also explained the differences in the older Zeagle/Apeks regs and the new Apeks regs. Here is what he said:

The differences in the OLD STYLE Zeagle regs and the NEW style Apeks regs are subtle, but substantial in my view. Changes made to the NEW Apeks regs (those sold after the start of 2000) are not available in the old style Zeagle regs (which were all supplied to Zeagle prior to october of 1999) differences include the shuttle valve spring, the shuttle valve, the counterbanance cylinder, and the high pressure spring in the first stages. In addition, the orings in the Apeks are made from a "new" material they
don't much talk about. We know they aren't butyal, silicone, or viton, but they don't talk much about what they actually are.

Warhammer,
The annual membership dues for a PADI DM is $77.50, not much considering the benefits. As for insurance, you need to carry it just to protect your own keister... hehe... for the seven year duration. Being a DM isn't for everybody, but you don't necessarily have to work with classes either. It's still a very good educational experience.

Mario :D

Does anyone know if you can still work as a DM even though you are qualified as an instructor? Are you considered "over qualified" for example?

Just a thought
:goofy:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom