APEKS US4 vs DS4 for deco / stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both are bullet proof, I use the DS4 for deeper tx mixes but have used them for O2 previously. If cost is not a consideration I would go with the DS4's a they are more versatile IMO.

Nothing is perfect.
DST is indeed heavier than US4 but:
1. It does not affect my check bag allowance.
2. My lower gum really appreciate it
3. Interestingly, the routing of the hose from the DS4 that I used for the 50% O2 mix causes no problem whatsoever. BTW, I mounted the DST(100% O2) on my right.

@Centrals the DST is quite a bit heavier though.

@ajduplessis the us4 and ds4 are the same regulator with a different IP cap. If you have the cap from the other, you can swap them back and forth at will. albeit having to readjust the IP when you do it

...and diaphragm clamp and adjuster screw, although the only difference in adjuster screw is on the US4 it is chrome plated so I guess it is the "same". Using US4 parts I converted an FSR to an "FR".

Last edited:
Both are bullet proof, I use the DS4 for deeper tx mixes but have used them for O2 previously. If cost is not a consideration I would go with the DS4's a they are more versatile IMO.

I would rethink using a DS4 over a US4 for deep dives. In fact, after having a pretty impressive freeflow at 250', I've taken to removing the environmental sealing cap on any Apeks first stage that I plan on taking below 70m because of the way the environmental plunger "over balances" the first stage.

What Is An Overbalanced Regulator

As everyone else has said, the US4 is a fine reg and is basically the same exact reg as the DS4 but without the environmental cap.

My dry suit and regulators go in a big Pelican case and I check it. Carry on my light heads, drives TSA crazy!

TSA just LOVES rebreather heads and can lights.

A buddy of mine just flew a scooter to Mexico. Apparently they asked him a lot of questions about the battery pack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom