Strange APEKS first stage (maybe a modified US4) ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsie king

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello,

I found a strange unicorn. It's a small survival scuba tank, it seems to be designed for passengers of an aircraft who could crash in water and it would allow them to exit the aircraft.
It's a simple design, a small luxfer scuba tank with a SPG on it and a special connector to attach an APEKS (I believe a US 4 variant) with an APEKS EGRESS octopus used as a compact second stage.

I was able to remove the special connector and fit an APEKS DIN connector so now it works on a scuba tank. It has limited use as it has only 2 IP ports and NO HP port.

I couldn't find this regulator on the APEKS website or when browsing the internet. I thought that some members of this board would be interested to see this setup.

It's called a PSTASS

Attachments

• IMG_6371.jpg
    IMG_6371.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6372.jpg
    IMG_6372.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6373.jpg
    IMG_6373.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6374.jpg
    IMG_6374.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6375.jpg
    IMG_6375.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 50
the tank

Attachments

• IMG_6380.jpg
    IMG_6380.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6379.jpg
    IMG_6379.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6378.jpg
    IMG_6378.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6377.jpg
    IMG_6377.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6376.jpg
    IMG_6376.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 46
This is Apeks Extrair for the aeronautic industry. For the SCUBA industry it usually comes with a DS first stage, aeronautic mostly gets a US first stage. The body of the Extrair is different from a US4 as it has only two intermediate pressure ports and no high pressure, as you mentioned above. The inner parts are exactly the same as a US4 though. One difference is the H.P. balance plug itself, which I believe to be just cosmetic. The O-Rings, etc. are all the same.

A lot of manufacturers have similar setups, often for the military. Aqualung has their H.A.B.D. (Helicopter Aircrew Breathing Device) for example.

Attachments

• Extrair - Schematics (2006) (First Stage).pdf
    228.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Extrair - Schematics (2011).pdf
    246.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Extrair - Service Manual (2011).pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
How good is this, and how good is Tanks A Lot providing us with so many schematics to open our own scuba shop

Back
Top Bottom