Apeks v. ScubaPro Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I faced the same decision several months ago...I travel overseas a LOT. 3 trips to Hawaii in last 4 months. One trip to Philippines. One trip to Thailand. One trip to Japan. One trip to Cozumel.

Just found 2-3 times as many SP dealers and service centers than any other brand. But both regs are great! I got 2 each of the Mk25 and S600. One set is my back-up.

Mouth Breather

euither way i feel you cant go wrong remember the eagles and apeks are pretty much the same for most part go with whats in the area you manly dive it and would get serviced but there are allot of apeks service centers that have come into play the last two years just my thought either way good regulators

Mermaid T once bubbled...
I was certified a month ago and have been on 4 dives since then. I am hooked and have found "My Thing" for life. That being said, I now need my own equipment. I have been researching it ALL and have narrowed the regs down to the SP MK25/S600 and the APEKS ATX200. I know that these are both great. I dove with both in my pool and liked the SP slightly better. My question is...

Which one will perform better at depth? I was only able to go pool deep so that was my limitation. If the difference is non-existent or negligible so be it, but I would like an opinion if there is one.:confused:

I have never been able to outbreath my Apeks regs. They are absolutely bulletproof, parts are reasonable, and if you can rebuild a kitchen faucet, you can rebuild your Apeks.

For some, getting service with their LDS is an issue, and if this is an issue for you, you may want to go with whatever your LDS sells and services. Otherwise, go to the Dive Inn website and buy an Apeks DS4/TX50 for less than $200.

http://www.scubastore.com

Scott

bigcat once bubbled...
Most public safety dive teams here in NE Ohio use Scubapro. We ice dive with this reg. MK-25 could probably deliver enough air for 10 divers. Very good product. Wouldn't think twice about this purchase SP is the way to go.
Dual purpose posting here - one is - what model do you find is the best combination of primary and backup reg (from ScubaPro) in cold water?

AND - thanks for your welcoming PM but I can't PM back to you because you've got your PMs turned off! if someone knows big cat, please let him/her know :)
Cheers! not-so-big cat

But what kind of diving are you going to do?

Both of these regs are top notch high end regs. But they cost $$.

*IF* you see your diving being restricted to 30-50 ft shooting pictures of fish - then save some money on the reg because there are several dozen less expensive regs that will serve you very well.

Now if you are going to push the envelope, both the regs that you mentioned are awesome regs. The key points are comfort and the ability to get it serviced in your area. (I don't think that you will be diving to 1010 ft in the near future :) ) Have you thought about asking your LDS if you can test them during your AOW course?

Ontario Diver once bubbled...
But what kind of diving are you going to do?
Both of these regs are top notch high end regs. But they cost $$.
*IF* you see your diving being restricted to 30-50 ft shooting pictures of fish - then save some money on the reg because there are several dozen less expensive regs that will serve you very well.(snipped out middle bit for brevity)
Have you thought about asking your LDS if you can test them during your AOW course?
Type of diving projected: Recreational looking at pretty fish and likely also work (looking at less-than-pretty benthos and point pollution sources).

I used ScubaPros during my OW with... mixed results. (have to go back and get the model designations). First reg was awful - and assistant instructor blew off my concern about poor airflow in the classroom by telling me it would be better underwater (last time I'm ever going to believe that one).
Hit the pool and couldn't get anywhere near enough air through the wretched thing. Thought it was me, nearly walked out (well, swam). Ended up trading gear with head instructor (same model regs, different maintainence schedule!) found I liked them (though not his BC- it was far too large :) ) and he found that the particular primary reg they'd given me for the course was digestive endproduct (and the secondary was only marginally better).

The main envelope I plan to push is temperature, and possibly time (long, shallow dives in rivers are likely to be in my future). I've read that some regs just can't cut it in four degree water and below-freezing air T's. Will also need something I can clean up for nitrox. I'd also rather wait and buy a good regulator as opposed to buying a cheaper one now and find i have to replace it. Your input, and that of those others that dive in really cold conditions, is greatly appreciated.

Cold, nitrox-cleanable, adjustable, purge in nice obvious place on front, high airflow-capable and works upside down are what I *think* I'm looking for in a reg (and octopus). Maybe there's soemthing else I should be considering? Cheers! cat

Apeks was designed for cold water North Sea Diving, but can you get it serviced? (BTW, I dive Apeks but 2 of the 3 LDS's that I frequent are Apeks qualified)

I'm diving a TX50 and a TX40 and I like them with both single and doubles. My TX50, TX40, a Posidon, and a Sherwood Blizzard have all done well for me at 4-6 C. (Someday I want to try a drysuit as well.....brrrrr :cold: )

If you are diving polluted areas, you will need an environmentally sealed system.. and for that I like the Apeks best. But if I was going to do that regularly - I'd be researching a full face mask and a full dry suit with dry gloves as well. <shudder>

Pretty well every major name band can handle Nitrox blens up to 40% O2. So unless, you are going technical Nitrox - don't worry about it. Tanks of course are a different issue. IF you need more information do a search on the site or PM me. I'd be happy to help out.

Adjustable isn't all that it is cracked up to be. Having the regs tuned properly through maintenance and then having a variable resistance control to prevent freeflows might well be all you need.

Apeks is cheaper than Scubapro when purchased online....and probably in the shop.

I would get a TX40-they are last years model and should be cheaper than the new ATX-and just as good. I have a TX50 but I think the adjustable thingy is nonsense and it's just something else to go wrong.

You can always send a reg. via the mail to have it serviced so that isn't an issue. I have Michael Rainone in FL. service my regs. and I'm in MN.

I have an Apeks 200 and am very happy with it. i would suggest tho that you check out the Rodales "Mother of all regs" review in the Nov issue I think. SP Mk 25 600 kicked ass on that one. In my mind its really a matter of price and service you cant go wrong with either reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom