Apeks WTX-D40 wing on Hollis SS backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcin.a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is a FYI post - Apeks WTX-D40 wing on Hollis SS backplate without STA.
Before buying the wing I was trying to no avail find any info if the slots match or not. There was only one way to be sure... so I bought the wing and the short answer is: No, as expected they don't.

Long answer is: It's only 8mm difference! Nothing 2 hours of drilling, sawing, filing and buffing can't fix! Pictures below show how the wing and plate slots fit after extending top slots on the plate 8mm down.

20191026_100203.jpg 20191026_191539.jpg 20191026_191814.jpg
The left picture shows extended slot on right and untouched on the left. Middle shows how the wing and cam bands fit the plate. Right picture is the 'side view' showing the alignment.

My thoughts on the concept of extending the plate slots: The consensus opinion on the board seems to be that it's OK. I have my reservations about it. It's not that it weakens the plate, it's plenty strong. But longer plate slots may allow the tank cam band to exercise additional stress on the wing slots (as it will be only them stopping the band from sliding if the band's friction against the plate is not enough). This will be especially important top side when the weight of the cylinder, often decorated with trim packets will be pressing down hard. After some deliberation I came to agreement with myself that it's OK to extend the plate slots as long as it's down, not up. So the downward support from the plate slots is not compromised (it requires the diver to suppress the urge to do a hand stand when kited). In my opinion, underwater nose down diving is not a problem as the tank is considerably lighter and the risk of additional stress on the top ends of the wing slots should be negligible. Plus, of course there are two bands and two sets of slots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom