Apeks WTX Wing recall?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seraphimx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Consumer Product Recalls - Consumer Product Safety

Here is a link of Canada Health's report that there is a recall for the WTX wings.

I have a WTX3 Wing that as one of the product numbers affected.
Model numbers: 38803

Went to my friendly(sarcastic) aqualung dealer at the corner and he told he would not do the fix since he didn't sell me the wing and since I bought it in the USA I should go see a dealer in the USA.

I called warranty at Aqualung Canada and nobody called me back.

Is there a penalty for Dive Center who so blatantly disregard safety?
Is there any way to get the replacement part without 3000 calls and visits to an uncooperative Aqualung dealer?

It clearly says on the recall notice :
Consumers should stop diving with their recalled power inflator and bring or send it to an authorized Apeks dealer. The dealer will apply a free fix. Consumers may also ask for and receive a free replacement product.

Seraphimx,

We're sorry to hear about your negative experience. That just isn't right. The recall was over a year ago and involved the inflator only. We just wanted to be sure that the oral button was properly adhered. We had advised dealers how to do a quick simple inspection to be sure that the button was secure. If you would like to PM me with your contact info as well as what city in Canada you are located, I'll get you some assistance. Thank you for your support during this.

Tom Phillipp
Product Mgr
Aqua Lung / Apeks U.S.

I know but I stopped diving last year because I went on a trip in Europe. I hadn't seen the recall notice.
I was looking into the possibility of a Seaquest Exhaust/Inflator on a WTX3 and that page popped-up in Google as 1st place.

I haven't fixed the issue since I haven't dived with it yet.

How did you make out with this recall? I have a brand new WTX3 and the model number is one thats affected. Called Aqualung Canada and they said they dont have that model and I would have to talk to American branch to figure something out.

Sold it and forgot about it, I now called the owner to tell him I'll pay for a Dive Rite Inflator.

You should go to your LDS with the recall notice:

Consumer Product Recalls - Consumer Product Safety

and they should theoretically fix it without charging you. Or you could always opt for the dive-rite inflator that is better IMHO because it's plastic buttons and not slick slippery SS buttons (and it's cheaper 30$).

EDIT: If it's new the fix should be already applied it's from 2010. (check this with your LDS) I haven't dived that year (i traveled in europe) so I didn't know there was a fix, and mine was older.

How did you make out with this recall? I have a brand new WTX3 and the model number is one thats affected. Called Aqualung Canada and they said they dont have that model and I would have to talk to American branch to figure something out.

Frisco23,
I contacted Aqua Lung Canada and they assured me that the Technical Bulletin was distributed to all of their authorized dealers. If you would like to PM me with the BC lot# (found on the tag) and where you live, I can get you some assistance.

Tom Phillipp
Product Manager
Aqua Lung / Apeks USA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom