Apeks XTX 200 vs Zeagle Flathead VI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sporket

Contributor
Reaction score
OK guys, help me out here. I'm between the Apeks XTX 200 vs Zeagle Flathead VI. I'm a 2nd year advanced open water diver with nitrox. I want a reg I can grow into. I haven't dove in the winter...yet. Nor do I dive very deep....90'? I like the idea of a sealed system and cold water capable reg. I also want a sweet breather, I have heard both are. I'm leaning 60/40 twards the Zeagle because its made in the US. But, I can go almost anywhere in the workd and have an Apeks serviced if need be. Both are flagship regs. Let me know what you guys think. Pros/cons?? Thanks!

Zeagle makes awesome Regs. I have several that I use year-round in upstate NY. Never a problem in cold water and great breathing performance.

Your comparing apples to apples. Like trying to differentiate between a Golden Delicious and a Manintosh. They're both great. Zeagle distributed Apeks in N. A. for a while. I believe that relationship ended when Aqualung purchased Apeks, however I could be wrong on that. Anyhow, Zeagle then went about designing and building their own regs. Incorporating most the features that make Apeks regs what they are. The internal designs are extremely similar.

I have the Zeagle you are looking at and an Apeks TX50/DS4. See the pictures on my profile for the first stage comparison. (Note I posted the picture for another member that wanted to use a transmitter on the DS4 and you cannot.) Anyway the 1st stages are identical but the size.

Apeks has a much nicer second stage. It's much better in quality.

Also, you should look at the Scubapro MK17 with the G250 or the S600. I'm kind of a regulator collector. I'm allowed to get one new one each year. For the money you cannot beat the Zeagles.

If I was to buy only one I'd get the Scubapro Mk17/S600 (or anyone of the variants with the MK17)or the Apecks XTX200 (or anyone of the variants).

serrada:
(Note I posted the picture for another member that wanted to use a transmitter on the DS4 and you cannot.)

Just curious what you meant by that, I have a DS4 and I use a transmitter on it.

Either of them will EASILY handle the conditions you're talking about. So my suggestion would be go with which one is easier to have serviced locally. I could be wrong, but I had an Apeks tech tell me that his Apeks parts kits fit the new Zeagles as well, so service worldwide theoretically should be easy to find. Now I can speak from personal experience that Zeagle is an awesome company to deal with. When I was deciding what reg to buy, I actually called Zeagle in Florida, and asked to speak to someone regarding their regs. I was put on the line with Jim Fox who is the engineer that actually designed the regs. He spent time talking with me and answered every question I had, and then just chatted about diving for a bit. That experience and their willingness to help customers totally put Zeagle over the top for me. Plus as you said they are made in the USA............but designed by a Canadian engineer :wink:

fweber:
Zeagle distributed Apeks in N. A. for a while. I believe that relationship ended when Aqualung purchased Apeks, however I could be wrong on that.
The other way round. Apeks made Zeagle's regs in the 90s (1993-1996 to be exact), while Zeagle made Apeks' wings. The relationship did end when Apeks was bought out by Aqualung. After they split, Zeagle design and make their own regs.

Anyways, my vote goes to Apeks. I bought an XTX200 with similar reasons to the OP, I wanted something I can grow into. I've heard great things about the Apeks regs, many are still using the older models for YEARS and have no problem in extreme cold or deep waters. If you must know, breathing machines say Apeks breath a smidgen better :wink:

Zeagle regs are made in US....Apeks are made in UK. Not sure how that affects the decision making. As far as I know, both have very good manufacturing and quality controls.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom