Apeks XTX100 for SM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simple... choose an appropriate length LPI hose based on your requirements (chest/torso size etc).... or change your bolt-snap positioning so that the hose routes cleanly around the torso...

Here's a photo that's as equally illustrative as yours...
download.jpg

(or was yours reversed somehow and doesnt' actually show the right cylinder?)

@joshk doesn't work unfortunately with SPG's going up and I don't like SPG's going down since they are hard to deal with while on a scooter and with top mounted stage bottles. Since my inflator crosses all the way to the right shoulder, I still think the top port has an advantage, but may try changing the rotation of my bottles to fit. Last time I tried bottles canted like that the first stage was digging into my chest but my bottles may have been a-framing a bit due to bungees being too tight

@DevonDiver how is a head of lettuce useful and how would an appropriate length LPI change the fact that it would dig straight into my back?

@joshk doesn't work unfortunately with SPG's going up and I don't like SPG's going down since they are hard to deal with while on a scooter and with top mounted stage bottles.

You're preference, that's fine. I was addressing this remark:

If I flipped it over so the SPG's were going down like the Razor guys the LPI would basically be going straight into my spine.

@DevonDiver it shows the long hose cylinder, but the left is in an identical position. Doesn't matter though since I use the same rig and positioning for drysuit diving which is the vast majority of my sidemount dives so drysuit hose would have to come out of the fifth port.

what bolt snap am I repositioning and to where?

So go tell Martin, Pintado, Widmann etc etc that they're doing it wrong. What's the point in such a claim? Those people hardly intervene on this kind of threads and there's a reason for it.
There's plenty of demonstrations that 5th port works just fine with loop bungees. The difference being that it'd rotate your tanks a bit. You loop them on the valve, we loop on the extension...
"We" also try not to expose our regs to the environment, just keeping

@joshk , but didn't you know Mauro does it all wrong?! I mean come on, look at him, it's obviously wrong! Do you think he scooters? Nah he obviously never uses a scooter! Only Edd can use one, because it's Edd.

Pro-tip: there's different ways of diving sidemount properly, unfortunately, when one tries to apply stuff from one rig to a rig that is completely different, it tends to not work very well. But since he's been doing it for ages, that's the way it has to be done and can't be done in another way or he'd have known about it (why? Because he's been doing it for ages, so it's correct).

As some people say, I wanted to note that @DevonDiver is "f*cking cabbage" (savage) with his post. :D:p

@Patoux01 different strokes for different folks, but the type of diving is drastically different in Mexico/where Andy is, Florida, and Europe and that is why you very rarely see cross polination of rigs.
While the toddy system works great when not diving in overheads, it's dangerous as hell in a true sidemount cave.
The Razor is great with aluminum bottles but falls flat with the big steels that we have to use with light exposure protection. With thick drysuits where you can dive a balanced rig, it doesn't really matter and it's pick your poison and that is why many of us have a different style rig for when we dive al80's, but for the cave diving that we do *get on trigger for long long long time, then go squeeze around some tight stuff, then hop back on trigger for a long long long time*, the razor rigs just don't cut it.

The spg's down don't really cut it either *because we usually dip into backgas, if we were diving al80's that would be completely different since those bottles would be untouched while on the trigger if we had stages*, and we have to carry a lot more stuff than others. You can't fairly compare those guys in wetsuits and AL80's diving super shallow caves with the stuff that has to be done in Florida because it's not even close

You should look up at where the stealth is used. Surely that'd broaden your vision of "those guys in wetsuits and AL80's diving super shallow caves", really.

You should look up at where the stealth is used. Surely that'd broaden your vision of "those guys in wetsuits and AL80's diving super shallow caves", really.

prior to the new stealth tec, it was not compatible with florida cave dives. The guys in wetsuits and al80's are diving a balanced rig. The guys diving big drysuits and what not in Europe are diving a balanced rig. Those of us in Florida do not which is why we need all of the lift that we need. The new Tec from Stealth is really close and a lot of people here are starting to use them with CCR's which have less lift requirements, but stealths are not widely used in Florida because the profile is still way too big. Most of us have used them, myself included, but it doesn't work as well as some other rigs for the types of diving we do

I use the Hog D1 which is basically the Apeks DST in sidemount and I do not use the 5th port either. Great regs and work great in sidemount config. The way I wear my bottles if I used the 5th port it would jab into my ribs as @tbone1004 has mentioned. Keeping the LPIs on the turret allows me to use standard length LPIs and it still keeps them tucked away nice and neat. If I need to deploy the longhose the LPI simply rotates with the longhose.. Both left and right bottles are setup the same. As you can see in the pic an LPI coming from the 5th port would be stabbing me or causing my bottles to twist out of position.

Apeks.JPG
Hog.jpg
IMG_0245.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom