Apeks XTX50 vs Aqualung Mikron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gxtoast

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,

Have been interested in the Mikron and recently considered the XTX50/DST. However, I have a few questions:

1. The small 2nd stage Mikron appeals to me. How much bigger is the XTX50 2nd stage - is it bulky by comparison?
2. The Mikron exhaust is reported as being small, causing the bubbles to vent too close to the face and become distracting. How many find this to be so?
3. Is the Mikron really that much more convenient than the XTX50 size reg?
4. How do people find the Apeks DS4 1st stage for normal sport diving? Is the DST swivel advantageous to the sport diver using standard non-tech gear?
5. Would anyone recommend ordering the XTX50 bits separately and then ordering Milflex hoses? What lengths should I get if this is possible?
6. Where can I find Milflex hoses that will fit the Apeks/Aqualung regs?

I just don't want to order the XTX50 and find it is too bulky, or get the Mikron and find that the exhaust bubbles are too distracting. Any feedback would be most welcomed.

Cheers,
Nick

Yep, read that before posting, and every other thread about the XTX50 and Mikron I could find. I guess I'm just going to have to go into my LDS and compare the two if they have them. Then ask if they want to price match Scubastore.com.

The Mikron is great for travel. And even though some will say a smaller second stage shouldn't really make a difference (they don't weigh much UW anyway and all that,) I do find the small second stage somehow nicer to use. Some combination of lighter, lower profile, less in front of my face. But the bubble interference is real. While I got used to it pretty quickly and don't really notice much anymore, it's a compromise I might not make if all my diving weren't while traveling now.

Thanks for your reply Damselfish. I have also looked at the APEKS flight and it is even lighter. It also has much larger vents and probably won't have the bubble trouble. But, people are saying it isn't in the same league as the XTX regs, which makes sense of course.

I wonder if one could match the Flight 2nd stage with the DS4 1st stage? Perhaps the breathing would improve.

If you do this you will automatically become manufacturers of diving equipment, because you should only combine components that are also destined for each other

It also depends upon whether you wear thick gloves or not. I do not own Mikron (though saw it in the shop and it seemed too little) but my wife owns Tek 3 reg set which uses XTX50 as second stage. XTX50 is of a normal size. So if you wear thicker gloves Mikron might be more dofficult to handle. If you even dive cold water 4C or less I would just go with Apeks , proven reg

If you do this you will automatically become manufacturers of diving equipment, because you should only combine components that are also destined for each other
not true. There are some things that won't play together but people do mix stuff and it's not generally a problem. Might just need to tune things to work well together.

not true. There are some things that won't play together but people do mix stuff and it's not generally a problem. Might just need to tune things to work well together.

OK?!:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom