Apeks XTX50 vs Aqualung Mikron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not true. There are some things that won't play together but people do mix stuff and it's not generally a problem. Might just need to tune things to work well together.

It is not true from technology point of view. But from liability BS point of view the tech at my LDS told me that many manufactures started backing up on liability when tey discover you are using a second stage not approved by them :)

Hey Mate,

As someone who owns both the XTX50 (albeit with the DS4 1st stage) and the Mikron, I feel qualified to answer some of your questions. Here are my findings for your questions:

1) The XTX50 is much bigger and heavier than the Mikron. However for me, they are both for totally different purposes. I got the XTX50's for my backup on my singles rig (with XTX200 primary), and also as my primary and backup on my doubles rigs. The Mikron was chosen for its light weight and small size for travel only. For these purposes, both regulators are great.

I haven't weighed my XTX200/XTX50 rig compared to the Mikron, but by simply picking the entire regulator set up, the Mikron is nearly half the weight.

2) I do find the bubbles to be a little distracting, but in the horizontal position, it goes mostly up the sides of your face and into your ears more so the face. The exhaust is changeable on the XTX50. I like the longer exhaust so that bubbles don't get in my face as much.

3) For travel, absolutely the Mikron is worth it! It handled all my travel diving without any issues at all.

4) The DS4 can be used without any issues for normal diving. I think the DST would be a little nicer in fact.

5) I ended up buying complete sets and then buying the Miflex separately and changing them all out (I don't have any non-Miflex hoses on any of my rigs anymore). It was still cheaper to buy the full set rather than buy the 1st and 2nd stages separately, despite paying for a hose that I would never use (I keep it as a spare just in case).

Also, the Mikron actually comes with a Miflex hose already, but it may be the wrong length depending on your hose configuration.

As to what lengths, well that depends on how you want to dive. All my rigs use a 22" backup hose length and 7' primary. However, my Mikron rig uses only a 5' primary as it will only ever be used with a thin wetsuit and not a drysuit etc. I also use a 22" LP inflator hose as well.

6) You can get the Miflex hoses anywhere to fit. Both the Apeks and Aqualung use 3/8" fittings. Older Apeks used 1/2" which you would need adaptors for, but all the newer stuff uses the common size fittings.
Let me know if you have any further queries.

You may want to look into the Titan LX or LX supreme it is the same or basically the same first stage as the Micron with a standard size second stage. The LX Supreme is an environmentally sealed unit with the ACD (automatic closure device.)

With the Myflex hoses you do not need any swivels or angle adapters they are so light and flexible.
I use a 5' one my primary, I do not do any tech or penetration dives but I like the freedom to get my hose down close to my body and out of the way when diving

Thanks for your replys everyone.

Claymore, I will check out the Titan LX Supreme, thank you. It looks like a good compromise between both sizes (though hard to be sure of the true relative size differences without holding it physically).

Mangrovejack, thank you for your detailed response. It has been most helpful to have a direct comparison. I guess one question to ask you is, if you were at home and organizing a dive locally, which reg would you be likely to grab?

It is interesting this discussion of size versus features and performance, as similar discussions occurr between the choice of using a Nikon D60 (tiny DSLR camera) and something bigger, like a D200 or D300. The D200 is like the XTX200. Has all the features and robustness, etc. Many photographers will often grab the D60 for it's light weight and it can do 80% of what the D200 can do.

I have also been looking at the APEKS Flight, which does have larger exhaust vents and is even lighter than the Mikron. However, there is not much information on it and it may not perform as well as the Mikron. Even APEKS state that it will not perform as well as the XTX products.

The reputation of the XTX is hard to pass up and certainly appeals. Making the decision all the more harder. Which means that it is likely going to mean it will come down to what each one feels like in my hand and mouth.

The bubbles thing on the Mikron could turn out to be a non-issue, or it could be something that nags on my mind for the rest of the time I own it. Now, if they made a larger exhaust vent you could swap in, that would probably enough to make it a no brainer.

I will order the whole kit and swap out the hoses afterward. Where did you order your Miflex hoses from? Did you order the APEKS or Aqualung brands for each respective regulator? I notice that Scubastore doesn't have APEKS Miflex, but they do have the AL LP Aquaflex Miflex hoses.

Cheers,
Nick

I dive the Aqualung Mikron, tiny first stage and small second stage, very light, great for travel. Fitted with Miflex hoses.
Breathes well too!
I've never understood why anyone would want to buy big, heavy v light, small.
I dive warm waters only.

I own the Mikron and the Aqualung Kronos. I rarely use the Kronos and mostly dive with the Mikron. Maybe it's because I'm usually in currents, but I've had no bubble issue as others have stated. I changed the standard mouthpiece and unlike virtually every other regulator I've used, I never have to manually secure it in current nor do I ever get any jaw fatigue at all. I love it.

Mangrovejack, thank you for your detailed response. It has been most helpful to have a direct comparison. I guess one question to ask you is, if you were at home and organizing a dive locally, which reg would you be likely to grab?
Without a doubt it would be my Apeks XTX200/XTX50 Tungsten set. The Mikron for me is purely for travel only (or for my girlfriend if she comes on a dive - she just got qualified - I may end up getting her an XTX regulator set if she dives more regularly with me too).

Don't be put off by the size or weight of the Apeks. At the end of the day its not that much larger than the Mikron. If travel weight/size is not a consideration (as it was for me), then personally I would get the best that I could afford (which for me was the Apeks XTX200 Tungsten).

One thing to note is that the Mikron has a venturi assist lever only, whereas the XTX50 onwards have both the lever and an inhalation effort knob (cracking control). This to me is worth it alone to go for the XTX regulators.

It is interesting this discussion of size versus features and performance, as similar discussions occurr between the choice of using a Nikon D60 (tiny DSLR camera) and something bigger, like a D200 or D300. The D200 is like the XTX200. Has all the features and robustness, etc. Many photographers will often grab the D60 for it's light weight and it can do 80% of what the D200 can do.
You're right, but my analogy would be more like a D3S versus a Coolpix S3000. Both take photos at the end of the day, but the D3S just has some really nice features that aren't available at the lower end.

I have also been looking at the APEKS Flight, which does have larger exhaust vents and is even lighter than the Mikron. However, there is not much information on it and it may not perform as well as the Mikron. Even APEKS state that it will not perform as well as the XTX products.
I at one stage thought about upgrading the Mikron to a Flight, but was a little put off by the amount of plastic in the flight. I'm sure it's fine, but on a dive boat in some countries, the handling of regs etc can be a little rough, and it's nice to know when your reg can't be cracked open like an egg.

I will order the whole kit and swap out the hoses afterward. Where did you order your Miflex hoses from? Did you order the APEKS or Aqualung brands for each respective regulator? I notice that Scubastore doesn't have APEKS Miflex, but they do have the AL LP Aquaflex Miflex hoses.
I've ordered Miflex hoses from all over the place. I usually add one to an order when I'm getting something else. I've ordered from LeisurePro, Wreck Diver Supply, Scubatoys, Dive Sports and probably a few more and never had any hassles.

There is no different brands as such for the Miflex. They are all the same, however some regs/BC's may need different adaptors. In terms of the regs you are talking about, all you need is a standard low pressure miflex hose for your regulators. If you want one for your inflator, then you may need an adaptor depending on your BC, but most should fit the standard quick-disconnect fitting.

PS, If you'd like I can take a photo of the two 2nd stages next to each other when I get home tonight. Then you can make a visual comparison between the two sizes.

Hi mangrovejack, for you to compare the two 2nd stages in a photo (with your hands to provide relative size) would be great. Thanks. I have hunted around for this kind of visual and have not found anything.

Cheers,
Nick

OK here are a few pics comparing the size of the two regs:

Front view of XTX50 and Mikron. Also included is the Mikron 1st stage:
2vw5hdy.jpg

Another angle of both regs:
2lk766b.jpg

Top view of the regs (notice the width of the exhaust ports on the XTX50):
243eww7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom