Apeks XTX50 vs Aqualung Mikron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Increadible, there really is a huge difference in size! It is obvious immediately.

Great shots, perfect.

It looks like the XTX regs might be significantly bigger than the AL Legend, as well.

I would estimate a guess that the Mikron 2nd stage is about 40% smaller.

I am about 5'8" and under 70kgs. So, size might be a factor.

Cheers

Last edited:
I am sure people have thought of attaching the Mikron 2nd stage to a DS4 or other XTX 1st stage. And the same with the Flight 2nd stage (which might be why the Flight has proprietary ports - to stop people doing just that).

I don't know if the XTX regs would be larger than the legends too. Keep in mind that the XTX is really about normal size, the Mikron is just that small!

Only issue I can see with mixing and matching 1st and 2nd stages, especially between different manufacturers is that the intermediate pressure may be different and therefore unless you service regs yourself, you will need to take them to a technician to change the IP to match the stages.

Mangrovejack, is the breathing really that noticeable between the XTX50 and Mikron?

Can anyone compare the Mikron and the Apeks Flight? Or, just report on the Flight?

Cheers,
nick

Nick,

I own both the Apeks XTX200 and the Aqualung Legend LX supreme, here are pics of them side by side as you requested:

t9w09t.jpg

24bt442.jpg

axhapl.jpg

Thanks, Mike, they look virtually identical. I've got a bit to think about.

I have added the Titan LX to my list, as well as the APEKS Flight. The flight looks like it has a better 2nd stage to the Mikron, but don't know if it would breathe as well as the Mikron or better.

Cheers,
nick

I wonder if one could match the Flight 2nd stage with the DS4 1st stage? Perhaps the breathing would improve.

The answer to this question is easy- NO. Without going into reg design, as long as a first stage will flow gas at a rate that is greater than the second stage can flow and it will keep the IP (pressure in the hose between the first and second stage) within a reasonable range the first stage has almost no effect on the preformance of the second stage. Pretty much any first stage on the market today will meet that requirement. After a quick web search I came up with this. Apeks Technical From what I can see, the second stage is pretty much the same design as the other Apeks regs, just in a lighter case. Properly tuned it should breath as good as any other Apeks second. If it doesn't according to machine test, you have to remember that those machines can measure at levels a human can never detect....kinda like knowing the difference in 100 mph and 101 mph while riding in a car, a lab grade speedometer can tell the difference but you can't and like the difference in regs, it really does not matter until the difference starts to get fairly pronounced.

I am sure people have thought of attaching the Mikron 2nd stage to a DS4 or other XTX 1st stage. And the same with the Flight 2nd stage (which might be why the Flight has proprietary ports - to stop people doing just that).

The port sizes are the industry standard 3/8x24 LP and 7/16x24 HP so there is no issues there Apeks Products

I don't know if the XTX regs would be larger than the legends too. Keep in mind that the XTX is really about normal size, the Mikron is just that small!

Only issue I can see with mixing and matching 1st and 2nd stages, especially between different manufacturers is that the intermediate pressure may be different and therefore unless you service regs yourself, you will need to take them to a technician to change the IP to match the stages.

Being a balanced second stage a few PSI either way would make little difference in the preformance, plus the specs on both are the same so if a tech is doing his job, the IPs will be the same.

Hi Herman,

Thanks for your reply. I am more and more interested in the Flight. However, it is odd that there is no information available about how it breathes. It is virtually identical in price to the Mikron.

How would this reg be tuned? Is that with the internal cracking adjuster?

It has been out for almost a year and still nothing said about it. Whereas the Mikron has plenty (although been out two years almost).

Cheers,
Nick

Tuning is mostly internal adjustments not really ment of the average diver..not saying it's difficult, just not something the average diver does. Cracking pressure is one of them. As for second stage preformance, I doubt you could tell the difference between the 2.
If I were buying, I would most likely go with the Mikron for 2 reasons. First off I like user adjustable cracking pressure adjustments, it's mainly a personal preference, nothing more. The other reason is purely a technical reason, I have a bunch of other AL/USD regs that use the same internal parts so I have spare stuff on hand. Not that the Mikron is better, both use a time tested internal design....I just have the parts already so why get a reg with ones I don't have. Again, not something the average diver would worry about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom