Apeks xtx50 vs Aqualung titan lx

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe the plumber

Registered
Reaction score
Apeks xtx50 vs Aqualung titan lx. Are these 2 compairing apples to apples? One better then the other? I was reading the two companies are related?? Thoughts?

Very much apples to apples.
Both first stages are of a similar design and the seconds are both designed by Apeks.
Being a Brit my choice would be Apeks, but really that's the only influencing factor for me......oh, the Apeks comes standard with a cracking pressure adjustment screw and environmental seal.

Yes Aqualung now owns Apeks. I very much doubt you could tell the difference between them when breathing either. Both are nice regs. I dive Apeks no complaints. As Fishpie has already stated the XTX50 comes with adjustment knob the Titan does not, not a big deal though. Go with whichever you like the look of most or that is the cheapest. FWIW the XTX50 is sealed the Titan LX is not, this may be worth considering if you plan to do any cold water diving. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. The titan LX is $100 cheaper at my LDS. What about the titan legend? Legend is $26 more then xtx50. Legend comes with braided hose (if it is really worth any extra?).

All 3 1st stages probably have very similar gas flow numbers to each other and apart from the features mentioned earlier (environmental seal for very cold water and the adjustment knob) I can't think of a reason not to buy the most economical.

Titan and legend are basically the same reg,just marketed to different price points. You can always add fancy hoses or enviro kits as needed or at service time.

I own both and I dove with both to depths of 60m in cold water (3 degrees C). Both never frozen. The Titan was my first reg, Apeks I bought later.
Both regs are ok.
One problem with aqualung: no first stages can be bought without a second stage, you only can buy a package. So I needed to buy a MK17 for my other Aqualung second stage.
And this is the reason that I prefer Apeks above Aqualung.

There are actually 2 different Titan LX first stages The original barrel shaped (a gussied up Conshelf), and the current model small, right angle first stage. The second stages, except for cosmetics, are the same. I assume that the price quoted is for the newer model. I currently own several of the former, and 2 of the latter. I also have an XTX 40. I try to tune every reg to the edge, and if there is a difference in breathing between these models, I can't notice it. All 3 of the regs mentioned are excellent.

Several years back I saw a Titan LX on Ebay with a BIN for 150 dollars, new in the box. I immediately purchased it figuring there was some trick but heck, at least I could get some parts from it. Well, it in fact was NIB with all papers and had been won as a door prize. Beats me, in any case, that regulator and another second stage also from Ebay has become my favorite single hose regulator--EVER. Breaths smooth and quiet, easy to work on, parts commonality with my Conshelfs and Aqua Masters, first stage is light and compact (but not super small) and the second stage is also light. Breathing performance is on par with just about anything I have ever used and what difference might exist, if any, with so called high end regulators is minuscule or irrelevant at any depth a sport diver would be needing to go to. I love the thing, shhhh, don't tell my vintage equipment diver pals, I will be banned and shunned :wink:. I added a compact B&G spg, some new hoses, one a long hose, meh, who cares, a hose is a hose, a DIY bungee necklace, a very cost effective and rock solid reliable regulator.

N

The old one has only 1 HP port and the new one 2. I have the one of 2010 with 1 hp port.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom