Question What model of Aqualung Titan 2nd stage is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mplewis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello! I recently purchased a used Aqualung Legend LX 1st and 2nd stage regulator. I'm looking to buy the missing octo for necklace carry backup.

I saw these photos online and I understand the Titan is a good regulator, but I'm not clear on how old this unit is or what its features are.

Could you please help me understand:
  1. What is this regulator and how old is it? Is it balanced or unbalanced?
  2. Will I have any problems combining the Legend 1st stage, Legend 2nd stage primary, and Titan 2nd stage octo?
  3. Will this be a decent regulator if I have to use it as my primary for a trip?
  4. Do you think this regulator is in good condition, from these photos?
Thanks for the advice!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 77
It is a Titan-Calypso I calculate that from the 90s, I have two identical ones but with the calypso logo, the Titan-Calypso of that time are 2@s unbalanced, easy to maintain, disassemble and breathe quite well to be unbalanced, in fact combined With a balanced 1@ you won't notice the difference. Is it reliable? Yes, are there better? Yes Will you be in danger with him and his supply? No, if it is properly maintained and adjusted.

Attachments

• Calypso 2nd Stage 2004 Manual.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 101
1a. What is this regulator and how old is it?
The Titan you depict has a XLC Titan faceplate...it is depicted with this faceplate in the 2001 spare parts catalog and may have been produced as early as 1998...similar iterations of that version of the Titan 2nd stage were produced from 1998 through 2004.

Looking at the diagram and parts list in a more recent Aqualung spare parts catalog (2018) and comparing it to the diagram and parts list from the 2001 catalogue, many of the internal part numbers are still the same, and the service kit is the same part number...so it can technicaly still be serviced.

1b. Is it balanced or unbalanced?
Your Titan 2nd stage is unbalanced.

2. Will I have any problems combining the Legend 1st stage, Legend 2nd stage primary, and Titan 2nd stage octo?
You will have no issue pairing it with a Legend 1st stage and Legend primary 2nd stage. The critical specs to note are as follows:

IP for the Legend 1st stage is: 135 PSI (+/- 5 PSI)
IP for the version of the Titan 1st stage that your Titan 2nd stage would have been paired with: 135 PSI (+/- 5 PSI)

3. Will this be a decent regulator if I have to use it as my primary for a trip?
If properly adjusted, this regulator will work fine as a primary 2nd stage if needed. Note that if you have your reg set serviced with this Titan 2nd stage as a backup 2nd stage (octo), shops/techs often set the octo's sensitivity to be lower (detuned) to prevent freeflows from the octo when it is clipped off/stowed during a dive....you can request for it to be tuned the same as your primary 2nd stage so that if you need to use it as primary it will be ready for use, but it may be more prone to freeflow during your dive.......this is not an issue with the Titan 2nd stage, it is an issue with all 2nd stages being used as an octo.

4. Do you think this regulator is in good condition, from these photos?
I think I understand what you want to know but please understand that other than the case/body of the 2nd stage, all the critical components are on the inside...there is no way for someone to know how things are inside from your pictures. But...

...given that service kits still exist, I would not hesitate to have it inspected and serviced and put it to use....the titan is workhorse/utility type 2nd stage, and other than the faceplate, little has changed in the design of the Titan 2nd stage throughout the years.

-Z

Attached is the service manual for the XLC version of the Titan, Calypso, and Cousteau 2nd stages. It is copywrite 1999, which further helps narrow the date of your 2nd stage.

-Z

Attachments

• XLC 2nd Stage Service Manual.pdf
    644.3 KB · Views: 118
given that service kits still exist, I would not hesitate to have it inspected and serviced and put it to use
Absolutely, I would never start using this without having it serviced first, and it’s great to know that service kits are still available. Thanks.

Absolutely, I would never start using this without having it serviced first, and it’s great to know that service kits are still available. Thanks.

Just a follow on note for further clarity...the Titan 2nd stage you are considering buying was originally marketed/sold to be used as a primary 2nd stage. There is no reason not to use it as an octo though. If my memory is correct, there was an octo version of the Titan LX....I believe it had a yellow ring on the faceplate and it's performance was detuned to prevent free-flows.

Due to its age, it would not be surprising if your local dive shop gives you pushback on having the XLC Titan serviced...they may see it as an opportunity to push a sale for new gear. But if things are not corroded or otherwise unserviceable inside and the body of the reg is not cracked l, their shouldn't be any obstacles to your shop performing a service/rebuild.

Perhaps you can use the service manual I posted to remove the cover to get an idea of the internal condition before heading to a shop.

Post back with how things go at your local dive shop. If they won't service it there are other resources to get it taken care of.

-Z

Thanks for the advice everyone! I purchased this reg and hopefully it will arrive in good condition. I'm confident my local shop will be happy to service it as they sold me the Legend S1+S2 set which this completes. I'll follow up once everything is complete.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom