Question Can any regulator be o2 cleaned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a scuba pro mk10 + g250 and a super old (early 2000s) first gen Aqualung Titan first stage (balanced) with balanced and unbalanced second stages.

I’m hoping to repurpose these as stage bottle regs for 50% and 100% o2, however I don’t know if they are “capable” of being o2 cleaned, which leads me to my question:

Are all regulators able to be o2 cleaned, or only certain regs that have been explicitly “tested” for o2?

Are all regulators able to be o2 cleaned, or only certain regs that have been explicitly “tested” for o2?
regarding the "All" part: No
Titanium regs are absloute no go since Ti already, as a hardened alloy (it rarely is on it's own), partially saturated / meshed with Ti oxide; and pressureized oxygen will cause it to oxidise even more; thus "rusting" out
Titanium oxide is extremely brittle; and powders very easily
I think Aluminum is more or less the same, but maybe slightly more stable -- but I am also not a metallurgy expert 🤷🏽‍♀️

Now that the fancy / rare / exceptions are out of the way; I can't say if there might be other blockers for other things.

scuba pro mk10 + g250
getting to the nitty gritty of your specifi case; I believe that's fairly possible, probably easy even -- but wait for someone to "+2" this just to be 100% sure (I am just begining to learn about these 2 as well)
I think the tricky part would be sourcing the right o-rings with the right o2 friendly materials -- but beyond that should be easy

let's ask the local experts @buddhasummer , @Angelo Farina

I have no idea about the Titan

For the most part, yes, if the service kits contain or you can source O2-compatible parts. That said, seats are usually not, but they are still used. O-rings are the biggest concern and O2 compatible grease. Tribolube 71 was all I ever used.
Titanium regs are unsuited for high O2 because they can catch fire and burn. And you don't want to be anywhere near a titanium fire.
And it's only the 1st stages that need to be O2 clean. The seconds really don't matter because they won't see high enough pressures to pose a risk of fire. That said, all the regs I serviced were treated as if they were going to be used with HP O2 just because it's easier to use the same procedures over and over. Even on regs that used rubber o-rings I stayed with Tribolube and used the same cleaning procedures.
It's a time cost of maybe 2-3 minutes and cost of the lube was 5-10 cents worth.
Shops that charge extra for O2 cleaning are counting on the uninformed person's fear of O2 fires to justify the added costs. If you do everything the same and keep things clean and organized you don't need to charge extra for regs.
Cylinders? Maybe. But do them using O2 clean procedures every time and it's hard to justify the cost unless they are filthy.

One of my SP Mk 10 (+ BA) regulators is/was a dedicated oxygen scuba regulator. At one time, SP offered a kit that converted a Mk 10 to a oxygen compatible reg. After you disassembled and thoroughly cleaned your Mk 10 (I degreased mine using Simple Green), you switched-in the oxygen-compaible soft parts (HP seat, HP O-rings, etc.) from the kit, using oxygen-compatible grease for lube, when you reassembled the Mk 10. Easy-peasy.

rx7diver

Yeah you can convert your MK10/G250.

For MK10, you must find the O2 compatible high-pressure seats. I wasn't able to find them separately, so going with an O2 compatible kit is an option. Then follow an O2 cleaning routine. Every manufacturer seems to have a special process, I follow what's documented in Deep6 manual because I have Deep6 regs and it makes sense to standardize. Also, I did not notice anything in that manual that said "oh no, you can't do it on Mk10!"

Technically, you may not need to clean the second stage as much as the first because it is a low-pressure zone. However, as you setup the O2 cleaning process, why not clean them both?

I use Tribolube 71.

A few additional notes...

- Buy true lint-free swabs. Some sellers advertise tightly wound cotton swabs as lint-free, but they're not.
- Wear gloves - oil on your fingers is a contaminant.
- Understand that your house is not an ISO-certified O2 cleaning environment.

Oh, and what the folks said above - no on Ti regs.

I wasn't able to find them separately, so going with an O2 compatible kit is an option
any refrence for such parts /kit? either original or pirated versions?

I haven't certainly tried looking for them; but I have been already accumlating a few mk10/+ kits for mine before they become history and would be good to have a couple o2 compatible ones

any refrence for such parts /kit? either original or pirated versions?

I haven't certainly tried looking for them; but I have been already accumlating a few mk10/+ kits for mine before they become history and would be good to have a couple o2 compatible ones
Monitor Ebay or ask ScubaGaskets.

Here is the thing - how many O2 regulators do you need and why? Typically, I use an O2 clean reg on my 50% and 100% mix. So I need 2 regulators + a spare one, so 3 regulators for my open circuit gear. Given the supply issues with MK10 O2 compatible parts, there is a better route - use a different regulator that is currently supported.

Based on your info, I take it that you're from Europe, why not go with Apeks? Check out this thread:

TL;DR: If you can't find O2 compatible parts, use a reg for which the parts are available.

I haven't considerd that factor; and come to think of it I feel blinded by my ambitions 😅

Here is the thing - how many O2 regulators do you need and why? Typically, I use an O2 clean reg on my 50% and 100% mix. So I need 2 regulators + a spare one, so 3 regulators for my open circuit gear
more or less nothing beyond that magic #, 3: a 50% a 100% (and maybe the spare). I wouldn't wanna use an MK10 rebreather tank

I have done some 🕵️‍♂️ googling the last hour and it does seem scarce indeed to find these unicorn o2 kits.So far the only option that's still available is far away in CA; they got like 3 more and that'S all, not very sustainable.

I guess the MK10s will have to stay on the std. kits and find other choices; probably stick with the DSTs of DS4s
I currently only have a single Apeks that's o2 clean, I use it for 50% -- I haven't needed to plan with 100% yet

I haven't considerd that factor; and come to think of it I feel blinded by my ambitions 😅

more or less nothing beyond that magic #, 3: a 50% a 100% (and maybe the spare). I wouldn't wanna use an MK10 rebreather tank

I have done some 🕵️‍♂️ googling the last hour and it does seem scarce indeed to find these unicorn o2 kits.So far the only option that's still available is far away in CA; they got like 3 more and that'S all, not very sustainable.

I guess the MK10s will have to stay on the std. kits and find other choices; probably stick with the DSTs of DS4s
I currently only have a single Apeks that's o2 clean, I use it for 50% -- I haven't needed to plan with 100% yet
Look up the Apex thread - lots of interesting info there regarding O2 cleaning.

Then grab DS4s from for $226/unit:

A DS4 will run you $400 in US of A...

Back
Top Bottom