Unbalanced regulator for high O2 deco mixes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LFMarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need to get an O2 clean regulator for deco BO mixes with high O2 that will be used in the 3-12 m | 10-40 ft range. Does it matter if the first is balanced given these depths? I am condemning Dive Rite FT1 (FT1 First Stage - Dive Rite) which is balanced and costs ~470$ vs Dive Rite O2 regulator (O2 Deco Regulator - Dive Rite) which is unbalanced and costs ~300$.

Some of these questions from new Choptima divers on this forum of late give me such pause.

No, it doesn’t really matter. There’s an argument to use at least as high quality as your primary regulators because, at least in open water and very deep cave, you’ll likely be on the deco regs for longer thank your bottom mix cylinders. Balanced first + second > Unbalanced first and balanced second > unbalanced and unbalanced

No, it doesn’t really matter. There’s an argument to use at least as high quality as your primary regulators because, at least in open water and very deep cave, you’ll likely be on the deco regs for longer thank your bottom mix cylinders. Balanced first + second > Unbalanced first and balanced second > unbalanced and unbalanced
For clarification, this O2 is for BO only so hopefully it will not get used much. All my other regulators are balanced first and second stages (I also use them of OC).

Why is that?
They are reflective of either how little OC training is being done before the switch to a CCR and/or the utter lack of quality control of new Choptima instructors. It is eerily similar to the slough of sidewinder instructors and ITs who hopped on the bandwagon who lack competence at the diver level, let alone the instructor level, and not dissimilar to the initial rounds of Revo III instructors years ago. At least the numbers are dwindling on the Revo side with a couple exceptions, and Patrick is (maybe?) attempting to clean up the KISS side.

Got it. I transitioned to CCR as soon as I decided I was going into deeper diving so I have 500h+ in OC but all recreational before switching over. Hence the question on the O2 regulator which I never needed until now. Regarding my CCR training, MOD 1 was done by one of the most experienced Optima instructors around (will not mention his name) so the lack of knowledge is on me and I am trying to learn as the need arise. Feel free not to reply to questions that fill too silly going forward. I always tell my teams that no question is stupid but I also can understand limited patience.

I need to get an O2 clean regulator for deco BO mixes with high O2 that will be used in the 3-12 m | 10-40 ft range. Does it matter if the first is balanced given these depths? I am condemning Dive Rite FT1 (FT1 First Stage - Dive Rite) which is balanced and costs ~470$ vs Dive Rite O2 regulator (O2 Deco Regulator - Dive Rite) which is unbalanced and costs ~300$.
What's the longest have you been on OC deco before?

Can tell you a poorly tuned high cracking second stage starts to get pretty tiresome after 30mins

Why is that?
Because these questions should have been explained well before ccr such as in a good an/dp class. I agree with Grant that unfortunately we're seeing alot of people jumping into ccrs, especially sidewinder and choptima, well before they're probably ready. More importantly these people have no other ccr experience, and they're being persuaded by instructors to jump into units that have many eccentricities that aren't found in a backmount rebreather. Some instructors claim they're explaining the compromises of a unit such as the sidewinder before people can take the class, but I call full-on bullsh-t. One instructor in particular went off about how he/she has a lengthy conversation about starting with a bm ccr first and the compromises of sm/chestmount ccrs before he/she lets someone in the course. Since that instructor told that bold face lie, at least 4 of their students told a very different story.
The high cost of helium is sending many people to ccrs before they should be in one. I am in no way implying that you fall into this category, but asking what would be considered a question you should know the answer to prior to getting into ccr raises some serious questions as to why through your training this wouldn't have been addressed.

There’s an argument to use at least as high quality as your primary regulators because,
Its funny because I was basically shamed by the guy that does regs in high springs for having "too nice of regs for deco". I run g250s with mk25s. Total overkill for deco, but I am of the volition like you said that keep em as high quality as your primaries. One of my mks25s blew a hp seat because I stupidly left it pressurized for months. I called him to tell him I was going to send it in and he starts telling me about I'm wasting money since the kits are so pricey and I don't need such a nice reg for deco. I even said I understand but want it fixed, but he continues on the "its overkill" path. So I take it to EE and voila, no issue.
Boggled my mind. I'm paying a dude to service a reg and I don't care if it's expensive, but he tries telling me to just buy a cheap dr reg instead. Bro, all I want is a fixed reg. Pretend I never said its a deco reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom