Unbalanced regulator for high O2 deco mixes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life is too short to dive ****** regs. If you can’t afford to buy new, buy used and have them serviced.

Agree. If you can afford a rebreather, the training, and the cost associated with it there is not point in penny pinching over regs

Also I think I have seen you are selling several Apeks DST's and XTX50's in the For Sale section. Why??? those are very very high quality regs, those and the SP are the most commonly used technical diving reg in the world. Plus what regs do you think Dive Rite knocked off to make the XT1 and FT1 in Taiwan I might add.

If I was you I would just keep your Apeks regs and use those its like you have the original Coca Cola and now your switching to Kirkland Brand "Cola". Plus if you ever travel outside the US to Asian, Aus, EU, Middle East, good luck finding parts for Dive Rite. You can find Apeks and SP parts anywhere in the world. And almost 100% chance there is another tech diver using Apeks or SP near by that has spare parts with them as well.

You can find Apeks and SP parts anywhere in the world.

One of the main reasons I switched to Scubapro. Well that and they support their regs decades after they stop making them. You can get factory kits for the Mk10 still. I don't think those have been made in the last 30 years.

Also I think I have seen you are selling several Apeks DST's and XTX50's in the For Sale section. Why??? those are very very high quality regs, those and the SP are the most commonly used technical diving reg in the world. Plus what regs do you think Dive Rite knocked off to make the XT1 and FT1 in Taiwan I might add.

If I was you I would just keep your Apeks regs and use those its like you have the original Coca Cola and now your switching to Kirkland Brand "Cola". Plus if you ever travel outside the US to Asian, Aus, EU, Middle East, good luck finding parts for Dive Rite. You can find Apeks and SP parts anywhere in the world. And almost 100% chance there is another tech diver using Apeks or SP near by that has spare parts with them as well.

I don’t have any Apeks regs for sale. You might have me confused with someone else. But I do have quite a few Dive Rite first stages. I also have quite a few Scubapro first and second stages. I’ve never had an issue with parts or servicing for either. And I don’t anticipate having issues internationally. I’ve purchased Apeks in the past and wasn’t entirely impressed. I much prefer my Scubapro regs.

Agree. If you can afford a rebreather, the training, and the cost associated with it there is not point in penny pinching over regs

Th Apeks I am selling are not O2 clean. I was thinking Dive Rite because I already have an O2 reg on the rebreather that I would send for service together with the second one.

One of the main reasons I switched to Scubapro. Well that and they support their regs decades after they stop making them. You can get factory kits for the Mk10 still. I don't think those have been made in the last 30 years.
Another good reason for SP is apeks suck. I have quite a few of them now due to my rebreather. I was one of the lucky ones with the repeated hp seat failures just like kensuf. But there's so many other things I hate about the apeks. I doubt I'd ever switch away from SP

I need to get an O2 clean regulator for deco BO mixes with high O2 that will be used in the 3-12 m | 10-40 ft range. Does it matter if the first is balanced given these depths? I am condemning Dive Rite FT1 (FT1 First Stage - Dive Rite) which is balanced and costs ~470$ vs Dive Rite O2 regulator (O2 Deco Regulator - Dive Rite) which is unbalanced and costs ~300$.
I use a dedicated Scubapro MK2 EVO with R195. For the depth range it is used, it is tuned to function as well as my primary regulators (MK19 EVO / G260). The MK2 EVO is a piston design that is simple to service (minimal parts) and clean. The Dive Rite O2 regulator fits in that same category.

I need to get an O2 clean regulator for deco BO mixes with high O2 that will be used in the 3-12 m | 10-40 ft range. Does it matter if the first is balanced given these depths? I am condemning Dive Rite FT1 (FT1 First Stage - Dive Rite) which is balanced and costs ~470$ vs Dive Rite O2 regulator (O2 Deco Regulator - Dive Rite) which is unbalanced and costs ~300$.
aside from what my friends have said above about why we are going down this path...

As long as one of the stages is balanced, you're mostly fine, if neither are balanced then you're in for an unpleasant decompression from a WoB perspective. Think about it this way, you're doing an ocean dive to 150ft for 30mins with a planned 30min deco. Your CCR says "I'm out" and you bailout to your boujie backgas regulators for the ~4mins it takes to get to 70ft. You then switch to 50% at 70ft to your comparatively crappy deco reg and you're stuck on it for the next half hour. Even on a 100ft dive where you'd be switching to O2 for deco instead of 50%, you're still on it for longer than your backgas regs and it's worse because it's during a point where you're able to pay attention to how it breathes because there isn't a whole lot else going on to distract you.

From a practicality perspective, the FT1 is a sealed first stage which makes cleaning way easier after salt water dives, and if they match your backgas then it makes parts/service easier.

I need to get an O2 clean regulator for deco BO mixes with high O2 that will be used in the 3-12 m | 10-40 ft range.
What deco gas do you use for the 6 -12 m range?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom