Unbalanced regulator for high O2 deco mixes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

w
What's the longest have you been on OC deco before?

Can tell you a poorly tuned high cracking second stage starts to get pretty tiresome after 30mins
What he said.
Look, if you find yourself on your OC B/O O2 reg, you had a bad dive up to that point, you very likely have racked up some good long deco. You want a really good breathing reg with a Low WOB so you can settle in and hopefully be relaxed and thusly having the best deco efficiency. BUT.. stuff went wrong, you may have been dragging a round a flooded unit that you still have on you, that is heavy. I recently swam a flooded front mount CCR for an hour on B/O, and it was tiresome... just saying.
To an unbalanced or balanced first stage for deco O2 reg, while some argue the Unbalanced is less likely to have combustion issues with oxygen, I can say with certainty I have had more combustion issues with unbalanced first with oxygen than balanced.. YMMV. I like the routing options from a balanced with turret. But to the WOB, that is going to be more determined in the second stage choice for a 100% oxygen deco reg. Which, going tech CCR, you should already know. Just saying

Thanks all for the responses. I know which way to go.

For reference, if unbalanced first or second for deco would make 0 sense and no tech divers would buy them, they would not be sold. There are definitely tech divers with more experience than me and potentially you that are using them.

Asking the question on pros and cons is fair and in the end the choice boils down to personal preferences. There is not a right answer and and a wrong one.

Still appreciate everyone’s time typing in their opinions.

3 pages in and nobody has recommended deep6 yet?

For reference, if unbalanced first or second for deco would make 0 sense and no tech divers would buy them, they would not be sold. There are definitely tech divers with more experience than me and potentially you that are using them.

Asking the question on pros and cons is fair and in the end the choice boils down to personal preferences. There is not a right answer and and a wrong one.

Because there are a lot of cheap mothers—-ers in tech diving.

Thanks for that schooling on what the industry and experienced tech divers do. I shall ruminate on it.

OK, I have ruminated. Dude, don't ask questions if you are going to dismiss the folks that answer, even if you disagree or don't decide to take the advice, it's nice they bothered.
Oh, and every brand that is selling a unbalanced reg for O2 deco is just marketing BS, because no dive regulator is actually designed to actual oxygen use standards, they simply aren't. Before you argue with me, I am gonna let my ego out and suggest you look into who i am first.

3 pages in and nobody has recommended deep6 yet?
doesn't even answer his question so why?

Obviously, that we don't offer an unbalanced oxygen reg speaks to our position on it.

Reactions: OTF
Thanks for that schooling on what the industry and experienced tech divers do. I shall ruminate on it.

OK, I have ruminated. Dude, don't ask questions if you are going to dismiss the folks that answer, even if you disagree or don't decide to take the advice, it's nice they bothered.
Oh, and every brand that is selling a unbalanced reg for O2 deco is just marketing BS, because no dive regulator is actually designed to actual oxygen use standards, they simply aren't. Before you argue with me, I am gonna let my ego out and suggest you look into who i am first.

Only respect for any answer, regardless if I will follow the advice or not. What I do not appreciate are people replying that the question should not have been asked in the first place as long as it not offensive. If you think the question is silly, just move on and let others share their experience.

For reference, if unbalanced first or second for deco would make 0 sense and no tech divers would buy them, they would not be sold.
Only because somebody does or buys something doesn't mean it makes sense. Like using Nx70 for deco/BO gas. Some people just look for the cheapest possible option.

Dude, don't ask questions if you are going to dismiss the folks that answer, ...
Seems like that's what this board is mostly used for. People seem to look for validation rather than an actual opinion or advice most of the time.

Only respect for any answer, regardless if I will follow the advice or not. What I do not appreciate are people replying that the question should not have been asked in the first place as long as it not offensive. If you think the question is silly, just move on and let others share their experience.
The only reason some think you "shouldn't be asking the question" is that given what stage of diving you are going into, many will feel you should already have that knowledge. That's why that is happening, among with other "clues" from your posts. (Like the 70%-100% range of O2 for deco gas.. like seriously, just no, for many reasons. I suspect maybe that came from your instructor, and that is a red flag for me, just saying).
You're early in the journey, and I am not even going to be all "don't do tech CCR unless you have done tech OC" on you but there are red flags that some have picked up, and I don't think how it has been hinted at and expressed is too out of line, but you did seem to take offense to it.
With that, I'm out. People pay me to teach them and while I like being generous with my knowledge even when not getting paid, I sure am not going to argue to do so for free. I am sure you understand.

I can even guess who you are getting instruction with from your posts. Marketing is their strong suit if I am correct.

To OP:

1. You asked for a bailout deco regulator - means your have a rebreather.
2. Rebreathers are expensive.
3. Not looking into anyone's pocket - but:
- If you can buy a rebreather - you shouldn't be saving on a regulator.
- It's the equivalent to hearing a diver saying that helium is expensive so using air diluent to save money. Can't justify that after purchasing a rebreather.

Get a good regulator - Worst case purchase a used one and service it.

*All other non financial arguments for getting a good regulator were already explained before me - No point to adding that as well.

Matan.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom