Apex ATX200 with a Dacor Viper Octo???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

storms

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Fairly new to diving and just purchased an Apex ATX200. I like the Dacor Viper Octopus because of it's low profile. I know that the ATX 200 has an overbalanced first stage and the the Viper series first stages are balanced. I really don't know how this will or will not affect the units when connected together. Will the Viper Octopus work when hooked up to the Apex ATX 200??? Or should I just stick with an Apex second stage?

I would stick to Apeks and get an ATX40 second stage.

Stick with the Apeks line for the second -- you only need to learn how to break-down and re-assemble one style of reg. Less thinking required in an "issue" situation. You can also carry one diaphragm on a trip if you believe that you may need spares.

and was wondering if anyone can confirm. You are only supposed to run Apeks 2nds, or backups, on Apeks 1st stages - no mixing and matching as described above. Can anyone confirm this?

SS

Generally, you should have the same brand octo as primary and first stage because some regs have different intermediate pressures. This can lead to free-flows or difficult breathing.
brandon

ScubaScott once bubbled...
and was wondering if anyone can confirm. You are only supposed to run Apeks 2nds, or backups, on Apeks 1st stages - no mixing and matching as described above. Can anyone confirm this?

SS

Not at all true. The Apeks first stages are set to an IP of (I believe) about 130-140 psi. Any second stage designed to work with an IP in that range should work just fine with the Apeks first stages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom