Apo Reef & Coron Wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm beginning to think it might be an idea to leave Coron until we're a bit more experienced and do No.2 on the list

As Allison Finch said, most of the diving at Coron is quite easy. The missus has enough experience and training to safely enjoy every wreck that's there. There are some parts of some wrecks which might be off-limits but the majority of what Coron has to offer is available and easily done by a diver at your wife's level of training and experience.

I never found the dive at Akitsushima and Irako to be anything but easy. Both wrecks are in deep water(>30m) and can be really tricky if the current is blowing.
Hiding behind the king post from the current on the ascend to the shot line in Irako or holding on the shot line in Akitsushima is a good learning curve for some.
I only dive these two wrecks with a twin set and a 50% deco mix otherwise the bottom time is too short.
Two weeks is about right to SAMPLE all the wrecks in Coron.

Having been to Coron, I don't see why people think this needs to be a tec trip. The diving is quite easy and mostly within rec limits. While vis may not always be the best, the life on the wrecks is amazing. The wreck are heavily salvaged and penetrations don't require indepth tec training, IMO.

Those wrecks in Coron can turn ugly if you don't know what you're doing. I've dived there with poor viz and have had unpredictable currents occur whilst inside. I know a whole bunch of people are blindly doing these penetrations without the skills to cope with the eventualities- personally I'd warm up to wreck diving slowly.

If you're dead keen to travel, go to the Visaya region. Remember any flights will incur 'no-fly' time penalties, so the freeies are your best bet.

I dove in Malapascua and Moalboal in Februry 2012 and it was a very nice combination. Flight from Manila to Cebu with Cebu Pacific Air, transportation from Cebu to Malapascua and from Malapascua to Moalboal organized by Thresher Shark Divers. I am considering Apo Reef and Puerto Galera for March 2014. Are there any liveaboards in addition to Rags II departing from PG? Any experiences with Pandan Island dive operations with respect to trips to Apo Reef?

Dove Apo Reef today. Third visit there in the last week. Really have enjoyed it.

Dove Apo Reef today. Third visit there in the last week. Really have enjoyed it.

cany920, who are you diving with? There are only a few options these days, correct?

Thanks.

Try get in touch with Sea Dive Resort when diving in Coron. I personally dive with them. Try if you can get Nico to be your DM/Dive Lead, very knowledgeable.

Let me know if you are interested so i could shoot them an email.

cany920, who are you diving with? There are only a few options these days, correct?

Thanks.

On the Philippines Siren last week and at Atmospheres this week. Looks like there are other options in Dumaguete and Dauin.

Apo Island and Apo Reef are two different places and are miles apart!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom