Apollo Bio-tank Locks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know they are expensive, but do they work? Reliably? I get tired of futzing with standard cam locks especially at odd angles on a rocking boat when I am in a hurry.

Total waste of money IMO. Standard cams take all of one second each to lock on a tank. Every boat I have been on I setup my gear before leaving the dock so all I need to do is put it on once we reach the site?

Why are you asking since you say in another post you have already bought them yesterday?

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=105512&highlight=Apollo+Bio-Lock

Jarrett:
I know they are expensive, but do they work? Reliably? I get tired of futzing with standard cam locks especially at odd angles on a rocking boat when I am in a hurry.

I found the very helpful and easy to use. I now own 3 of them (mine, wife and daughter's BCs).

I bought them at LeisurePro which cut down on the cost. I live in western Massachusetts and they are in New York city. With standard ground shipping I get it delivered the day after they ship it.

They are less hassle than the standard attachments and you don't have to worry about getting your fingers pinched.

I have no association with the company that makes the tank lock or LeisurePro.

I buy all life support equipment from my LDS and use LeisurePro for odds and ends like tank locks, dive lights etc.

Jarrett:
I've read very good things about them. Only downside is the cost, and some question the need. If you're ok with that, go for it.

I bought one for my gf a couple of months back...she's not too mechanically inclined, so I was always double checking her one cam buckle to find it loose...but not anymore =)

I agree..it was a little pricy, but damn! that thing GRIPS the HELL out of your tank!

I've never had a problem with my halcyon cams, but if I did, I'd go for the apollo bio tank lock in a heart beat.

For a few reasons, cam bands are the way to go (switching tank sizes, use of weight pockets, ease of use, less to break etc.). However, I had a sea quest BC last year that I could not get to lock securely for the life of me. I broke down and bought the BIO and it solved the problem. I'm now back to good old cam bands on my BP though.

My only advice is to be careful to not overtighten it. I did and it bent the bolt which therefore required a screw driver or flat tip knife to pry apart the 2 sides after they were loosened. Other than that (which was operator error) it works fine.

Jarrett:

Just swap out your strap for the ScubaPro strap. The buckle is metal, and I've never had the tank loosen even a little.

Terry

It is very easy to use. I also got a pair of the locks for my GF.

The ordinary cam band was a real PITA for her, even Halcyon one.

It makes your life easy....:wink:

For all my rigs (including my wife an son's) I use a Dive Rite metal cam band for the top tank strap and ScubaPro "cinch strap" for the lower strap.

The top band is easier to adjust for different size tanks (use both Alu 80's and Steel 95"s), and the opening lowere metal strap is easier to put as you do not need to slide it down the tank and it grips like a mother.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom