Apple Mac Book Pro Question, Should I?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not a matter of Mac not supporting blu ray at all. You can create settings for blu ray in Compressor. The problem is that the powers that be in the Blu ray camp wanted an absolutely outrageous amount per Mac computer in order for Apple to get the licence. I should remember the $ amount but I was told by an Apple big-shot a long time ago and have since forgotten.
You can still buy an external blu ray burner and burn blu ray discs. I really think it is all a moot issue as Blu ray will not be replacing standard DVDs and haven't come close to equally the amount of them sold in the past year. Newer technologies already exist that already surpass blu ray in terms of accessibility and cost. While the blu ray prices have dropped some, I would advise no one to invest in it. In my mind, it is a shame that Toshiba gave up the ghost for their HD DVDs...who needs all the extra trailers and talking heads that the larger capacity blu ray offers and very few people could see a resolution difference between the two formats.
With NAB this week, plan to view many new items coming out.
Steve

It is not a matter of Mac not supporting blu ray at all. You can create settings for blu ray in Compressor. The problem is that the powers that be in the Blu ray camp wanted an absolutely outrageous amount per Mac computer in order for Apple to get the licence. I should remember the $ amount but I was told by an Apple big-shot a long time ago and have since forgotten.
You can still buy an external blu ray burner and burn blu ray discs. I really think it is all a moot issue as Blu ray will not be replacing standard DVDs and haven't come close to equally the amount of them sold in the past year. Newer technologies already exist that already surpass blu ray in terms of accessibility and cost. While the blu ray prices have dropped some, I would advise no one to invest in it. In my mind, it is a shame that Toshiba gave up the ghost for their HD DVDs...who needs all the extra trailers and talking heads that the larger capacity blu ray offers and very few people could see a resolution difference between the two formats.
With NAB this week, plan to view many new items coming out.
Steve

Let's hope you're right. It was really WB that killed HDDVD. They were the last big studio to jump on the Blu-Ray band wagon, what a shame that was! I'm sure you know about what Fuji has been touting for the past few years with the holographic disk. I haven't hear anything about any recent progress when it comes to bringing it to the market though.

Are you at NAB this year? Unfortunately I'm not going to make it out, 2 years in a row I've missed an Autodesk party. :shakehead:

Billy

It seems like every company in the world is asking to meet with me at NAB. They just want to give me stuff to review and I don't have to leave home for that. Actually, I'm not going simply because I can't afford to. The economy has hit me just as much as anyone I guess and I have to watch my pennies. Divers are even leery of going on dive trips because of the economy. We still have a couple of spots that we need to fill on our Red Sea liveaboard trip next Oct and who knows whether we will be able to.

I agree, I wish Toshiba had won out. A friend send me a bunch of unopened HD DVD movies that I can't even play or use. I hope that holographic TVs come out in my lifetime. Would love to see that but it would probably be a couple of decades before they are completely color accurate with sharp details. My guess is that the first of the sets will have actors looking all blurry, especially if there is light in the room. Yet, all science fiction eventually becomes fact.
Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom