Apple Mac Book Pro Question, Should I?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Billy, glad it all worked out for you. I might have a couple of mint condition L & M HID lights I will be selling in the near future.
Steve

Thanks for the offer but I just placed an order for a 50W Salvo HID, man I'm gonna be stoked when this thing shows up on Thursday! What did you get to replace the L & M lights?

Billy

Hey Billy,
L & M sent me their 2000 LED lights last June so I've been using them. I recently read a test report that showed that the 800 port, while faster, is really not that much faster than a 400. I still would want both ports. I would imagine that having two ports funneling down one cable would slow things up. No?
Steve

Theoretically FW800 should be twice the speed but realistically I have no idea what it is.

I think there are a lot of variables involved when it comes to data transfer. If you've got 2 drives daisy-chained together and you're transferring from both I'm sure you'll experience some latency due to maxing out the bandwidth of the cable and connection. But if you're on a laptop with a 5400RPM drive (my new MacBook Pro comes with the option to upgrade to 7200RPM) then you're bottleneck is the drive speed and your FW connection is no longer the issue.

The rule that I go by is if I'm transferring any data whether it originates from a camera, drive, whatever, or performing any type of processor intensive tasks I make sure that it's the only thing going on at the time. Taxing your processor is never a good idea :D.

Billy

I just ordered my 1TB FW 800 external drive for my new Macbook Pro. It was a little more for the fire wire version. But from what I have personally seen. The FW bvlows away the USB drive in speed. So If I am doing high definition video, music, etc. I want the fastest drive possible. The 320 on my Macbook, is the 7200 RPM, so speed is nice. And when I say it was a little more, I think it was only like $20.00.

Once you go MAC you will never go back...

I also just got a MAC and I love it already, Only had it two days and it is by far my very favorite computer ever!

Let me just state, I really don't care what platform or software people use. People should use what they feel most comfortable with and that's it.

In my normal surfing of the video discussion boards, I occassionally read about Mac not supporting blueray and issues with burning blueray disks. I don't pay much attention to it, since I'm not on a Mac, but I have seen the comment several times. Don't know if it's user error, software error, or hardware. Just curious. My girlfriend has a Mac and just recently started to use it.

Let me just state, I really don't care what platform or software people use. People should use what they feel most comfortable with and that's it.

In my normal surfing of the video discussion boards, I occassionally read about Mac not supporting blueray and issues with burning blueray disks. I don't pay much attention to it, since I'm not on a Mac, but I have seen the comment several times. Don't know if it's user error, software error, or hardware. Just curious. My girlfriend has a Mac and just recently started to use it.

From what I understand you can buy external 8x burners/players and internal ones for the MacPros(desktop). You can read and write data to the disks but cannot play back blu-ray video. You either have to run a widows emulating application called parallels or use bootcamp, which is already loaded in the OS and allows you to install your own boot-able version of windows.

So I guess the issues are partly true. All of this is pretty funny considering MS was backing up HDDVD and lost. If blu-ray wasn't sony's brainchild I'd probably be behind it myself.

Billy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom