Approximate cost of Tank Tumbling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That.

An alternative if you ever plan to run EANx or higher O2 concentrations might be TribalLube 71 or some version of Critterlube.

But that's just me - I only use the TribalLube and viton o-rings to simplify my on-hand stock of shi - er - stuff.
TribalLube ... isn't that the all natural stuff derived from rendered tourists? Slick as manatee snot and no petrochemicals!

An alternative if you ever plan to run EANx or higher O2 concentrations might be TribalLube 71 or some version of Critterlube.

But that's just me - I only use the TribalLube and viton o-rings to simplify my on-hand stock of shi - er - stuff.
Right, it's a little more expensive for the O2 compatible o-rings and lube, and you probably want to take the O2 cleaning course as well if you go that route.

TribalLube ... isn't that the all natural stuff derived from rendered tourists? Slick as manatee snot and no petrochemicals!
But cheaper than Critterlube... You know how hard it is to squeeze all the lube out of a critter !?

On the tank tumbling topic, i have had great luck putting aquarium gravel in a tank and letting it roll on a treadmill for a while. Not something i’d want to do if i was tumbling lots of tanks but it works great for saving the cheap craiglist purchases.

It's official, I can inspect my own tanks! Just don't ask why, or how that shark got a dive flag and scuba-tank.

20230902_125603_2.jpg20230823_154342_2.jpg

edit: I picked up the tanks, though I'll have to grab them later tonight from my car to check out the rust.

Photos are from one tank, but both are effectively identical. It's not easy to photograph, however:
  1. There is some very light rust on the interior (first picture is more color-accurate) Interestingly, it's on the walls, but not the bottom.
  2. There is a small amount of metal-shavings at the bottom, which you can see sitting in the middle.
  3. Both tanks otherwise pass inspection, but I'll definitely want to clean them first.

20230905_201458.jpg20230905_201728.jpg
I might try manually rolling the tanks with some (uncoated) aquarium gravel or similar in my free time. Perhaps designate one of my crappy spare yoke valves as a "maintenance tank cap" for the purposes of protecting the threads. If that works, great, if not, whatever, it's just a few dollars, a few calories, and a podcast. Plan B if that doesn't work might be building or buying one of those tank whips.

It also turns out these steel tanks have 3/4 valves (not 7/8ths like I thought) which means I can install some of my modular valves that have been collecting dust, which are great for sidemount, and a carrying handle.

These look good.
Shouldn't take much work at all to tidy these up. I will say, the tank whip and a drill is a very speedy method, followed by a rinse with water and simple green, and you'll be very happy. I think you could make one up pretty easily with a few cheap materials.

Watching this thread because a have a collection of tanks that don't get dive often and sometimes to be aVIP/fill every time i take them in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom