Approximate cost of Tank Tumbling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just took 2 steel tanks in to the shop for VIP (which is now $30 .... ripoff) and the shop says both tanks will need to be tumbled as well, which apparently costs $55/each. That price sounds high, but I've never needed tanks tumbled before. I may do some calling around tomorrow to see prices locally, but I wanted to hear what prices are like in your area.

At $110, I'm also thinking of going the DIY direction. Perhaps something like this? If I go the DIY route, I'd like to keep costs down as I'll likely maintain about 6 to 8 tanks, and only 2 steel.
the vip seems a bit high. The tumble is probably a good price. I built my own tumbler and by the time you get parts and spend the time, the cost won’t seem bad at all. I have a dozen plus old steel tanks and welcome discards so I do use my whip and tumbler every year - sometimes just for O2 cleaning. It does take time to get the tumbler out, get the media out and into tank, tumble, tip to fully clean top and bottom, empty media, rinse and dry the tank. I use the same stand for the media removal, rinse and dry, some have different stations for that. If you’ll be doing it often, build one. If you only have a couple tanks, just pay the lds if they’ll do it. The VIP course I found great, but again, I do everything except hydros myself…and talking to my LDS about doing that too.

asking whether this is a fair price is a bit meh.
Sorry if this is blunt. LDS regularly get the hard end of the stick now online shopping is present.
I don't mind the bluntness, but if I'm also blunt, I think it's absolutely fair to question whether prices are reasonable. I didn't assume their prices were unfair, which is why I asked. It was a genuine question, and not an accusation.

Part of that questioning is why I'm spending $450 on a class and supplies to inspect my own tanks, because the VIP prices locally are getting absurd.

the vip seems a bit high. The tumble is probably a good price.
Thanks for the info. I think I'll look at the tanks, and see how bad the rust is. If it's pretty bad, I might pay for the tumble. If it's less bad, it might make sense to get one of those whips.

I did decide to take the VIP class, because VIP prices locally are getting absurd. It's also perhaps helpful to actually know what I'm taking about when it comes to tanks and inspections. Especailly after a very bad experience where a shop condemned a tank because it was manufactured in 1988. Not because of any flaw in the tank. I argued with the shop, but ultimately had to leave because my buddy was waiting for me at the dive-site. They REFUSED to hand over the tank. I'm still pissed about that, and had about a dozen different VIP-trailed people tell me that was absolutely improper and reccomended reporting them to PSI-PCI.

The VIP seems high. $15 per at my lds in FL and includes the fill.
IIR, tumble was $40'ish, couple of years ago though.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll look at the tanks, and see how bad the rust is. If it's pretty bad, I might pay for the tumble. If it's less bad, it might make sense to get one of those whips.

I did decide to take the VIP class, because VIP prices locally are getting absurd. It's also perhaps helpful to actually know what I'm taking about when it comes to tanks and inspections. Especailly after a very bad experience where a shop condemned a tank because it was manufactured in 1988. Not because of any flaw in the tank. I argued with the shop, but ultimately had to leave because my buddy was waiting for me at the dive-site. They REFUSED to hand over the tank. I'm still pissed about that, and had about a dozen different VIP-trailed people tell me that was absolutely improper and reccomended reporting them to PSI-PCI.
I also took the course because a LDS condemned one of my tanks - for an invalid reason. I ended up talking to Mark Gresham from PCI about it and he directed me to another LDS where I took the VCI course and found out all LDS are NOT the same. I was naive back then (turns out my first LDS where I went for the first 10years was an exceptional shop) and didn't even notice it until I had left the shop and never ended up arguing with them - just never gave them my (or any referral) business and the shop has gone from 3 stores down to 1 since (not just due my business I'm sure). The course here is $300 and they ended up giving me a whip and some probes in the class. I also took the O2 cleaning and valve servicing classes, so outside hydro, my tanks are fully self serviced.

One thing to keep in mind. Some shops will not fill tanks if the VIP was not done by an actual shop with a branded VIP sticker. I've seen shops refuse to fill self-VIPed tanks event when the person can verify their certification. Something to be aware of. It is their compressor/bank and their rules. Many of the folks who do self-VIPs also own their own compressors.

One thing to keep in mind. Some shops will not fill tanks if the VIP was not done by an actual shop with a branded VIP sticker. I've seen shops refuse to fill self-VIPed tanks event when the person can verify their certification. Something to be aware of. It is their compressor/bank and their rules. Many of the folks who do self-VIPs also own their own compressors.
I had heard that but have never had my stickers even questioned (wisconsin, florida, arkansas, missouri, illinois). You can buy PSI stickers from them, they look like any generic dive shop sticker. I print my own online just because I wanted to. I don't think that's as big an issue as some have stated - also my stickers have my VCI # on it - they can look it up to verify it's real - if they don't accept that, I don't want my tanks filled there.

I had heard that but have never had my stickers even questioned (wisconsin, florida, arkansas, missouri, illinois). You can buy PSI stickers from them, they look like any generic dive shop sticker. I print my own online just because I wanted to. I don't think that's as big an issue as some have stated - also my stickers have my VCI # on it - they can look it up to verify it's real - if they don't accept that, I don't want my tanks filled there.
Fair enough. Sounds like you've been lucky. It absolutely can and does happen. When I used to do my own VIPs, I had it happen to me more than once. Just wanted the OP aware of that risk.

I did an online course with these folks:

having tumbled a pair of tanks before, the amount of labor and time involved totally justifies charging 50 to 60 bucks.

if you want to save a bit of money, find a hydro place that can blast the tanks with walnut shells instead. its quicker and generally only runs about 20 to 30 bucks because its a much simpler procedure.

or if you already have an oil free shop compressor, to build your own blasting setup

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom