Apres-dive, Phuket & Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alc16

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey folks

Various websites show plenty of activities available in Phuket but non mention much about Christmas and the effect it has on running those activities.
Yeah I know this is a dive forum but for those moments in between liveaboards etc what is open between Christmas & New Year? I've asked a few cooking schools but some say they're not running on Xmas day or the dates i'm free so what else is affected?

Also, any activity recommendations for first time visitors who aren't interested in the brashness of certain beaches?

Hi There,

I have not noticed many closures during Christmas in Phuket. You may have to pay for a compulsory Gala dinner if you are staying in an upmarket resort but most services should not be interupted.

Cast off and away on your sea canoe through hidden caves in the hollow island pillars of limestone, known as hongs, in Phang Nga Bay or Krabi. These cave refuges were formerly the hideaway sanctuaries to the notorious South China Sea's pirates.

Discover sailing, big game fishing, river rafting, trekking ... the list goes on ... Phuket has something for everyone to do - from bowling to bungee-jumping, it's a veritable grown up's paradise playground!

If you head south to the hills overlooking Kata Noi beach you'll be rewarded with a breathtaking view of Kata and Karon beaches from the viewpoint lookout. Driving further south again and you'll end up in Cape Promthep, which shows you all the tropical splendour of an Asian sunset if you go there at dusk.

You could then head back and across to Wat Chalong, where you can explore Phuket's most famous Buddhist temple, you'll marvel at the colours and architecture and feel the Thai culture in all its splendour. Nearby, the big buddha is definatley worth a visit.

If you head towards the airport and turn right at the Heroines Monument, you'll be on your way to Bang Pae waterfall. Drive back through Thalang to Ton Sai waterfall before winding your way back through Bang Tao, Surin and Kamala where most of the Phuket Muslim community lives in small townships.

After all this you can eat your weight in sea food and shop till you drop - have a great stay :D

Thanks for those suggestions....yeah i'm sort of tempted to hire a car but I don't have an IDP and won't be able to get one in time given i'm not based in my home country.

Any ideas how strict the Thai traffic cops are on this?

Last time I rented a car in Thailand, I didn't bother with an IDP. Just showed them my US drivers license. Just pay attention to the driving laws and it should be good. That said, I was driving closer to Chiang Mai, which has a bit less traffic, from what I could tell, than the diving/resort areas have.

You dont need an interntional driving licence to rent a car in Phuket, they may want to hold your passport as surity - better to just give a copy.

The police set up regular check-points which seem to be aimed at pulling over motor bikes rather than cars. A driving licence from your country should be acceptable if you do get stopped. If not the fine is arround 500 THB (about 17 US $).

Hiring a car and driver for the day is another option.

Head over to Nai Harn beach for a nice beach day w/out the Patong "feel", rent a scooter, just go slow. Wear your helmet, the police are usually just pulling over folks without one. Head up to Surin Beach for a day of surfing, you can rent stuff from Surfing Thailand Phuket Asia, Surf tips and reports, Thailand surfing, Asia travel beach guide I have no affiliation with them. You can go see the Buddha relics at Wat Chalong, it can be pretty noisy there or very quiet, just seems to be the luck of the draw.Go up and see the Big Buddha around sunset, the tour buses are usually gone and it's very nice. Oh, you might give day diving a try as well :)

Christmas isn't actually a holiday in Buddhist Thailand, so most commerce, banking, etc., will be carrying on business as usual both on Christmas Eve and Christmas day as well as on Boxing Day. New Year's Day is a holiday, however, and this results in the closure of some businesses, as well as the suspension of daytrips on many dive boats on this one day.

In terms of après-dive (if you mean it in the same sense as après ski, i.e., evening activities), you should be okay with whatever restaurants, clubs, or other venues you hope to frequent. But as you mention "between liveaboards" perhaps you just mean non-diving activities? You can expect most tours to be running other than on New Years Day, and you can expect all the beaches to be open and busy.

If you are wanting to avoid the crowded beach scene, you might like to visit the Gibbon Rehabilitation Project, go sea kayaking, take a flat-bottom boat into mangrove-lined rivers, ride a bike up to Khao Sok National Park, etc. There is usually a touching memorial event on Boxing Day in Patong in memory of those lost during the tsunami of 2004.

Thanks for those suggestions....yeah i'm sort of tempted to hire a car but I don't have an IDP and won't be able to get one in time given i'm not based in my home country.

Any ideas how strict the Thai traffic cops are on this?

If they catch you driving with no licence, its no great drama, only a nominal fine (in most areas 200bt), the biggest inconvenience will be paying your fine, because if you dont have a licence they will sieze your vehicle, you have to go immediately to the local police station and pay your dues, then return to where you were stopped, show the police your fine reciept, and then you are on your way. Sometimes you can escape the inconvenience with a small gratuity. :wink: If you know what I mean.
If you ever have to pay a fine in Thailand for such a motoring offence, be sure to keep your payment receipt, as this will give you exemption for the particular offence for a short period, 7 days I think?
The main difficulty you may find is actually renting the car in the first place, most reputable companies will insist on seeing your licence, but this is Thailand and you will always find someone to rent you a vehicle, licence or not.

But of course I wouldnt want to encourage people to break the Thai traffic laws. :D

You dont need an interntional driving licence to rent a car in Phuket, they may want to hold your passport as surity - better to just give a copy.

Yes a lot of the smaller (local) vehicle rental companies operate in that fashion, but the law in Thailand is that you should have an international licence. Having said that quite often around tourist resorts where the Police are familliar with such a situation they may accept your own country driving licence.
If you are intending to travel to areas that are not regularly frequented by tourists it will almost certainly be unacceptable as most Thai police will neither speak or read any foreign languages.
See my last post re. gratuities. :wink:

Thanks all there's a few really good suggestions. The lady friend isn't keen on physical activities so kayaking is out but sounds like there are lots on.

Quero - thanks for the heads up about the Boxing Day commemoration - i'll keep a look out for that.

Anyone know what the normal rate for hiring a taxi driver for the day is? Say a 10am to 8pm stint but go anywhere on Phuket.

Back
Top Bottom