APS-C vs Full Frame

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mariozi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Some photographers (like myself) believe that the APS-C sized sensor (DX in Nikonish) is more suited to UWPhoto for varying reasons...

What are your thoughts about it, I'm writing and article about it and would love a second or third opinions.

Thanks!!!

Mario, I would argue the other way.

The APC-C size is great for wild life photography...or anywhere that a telephoto is useful, as the smaller sensor allows one to carry smaller lens to get the same magnification.

But underwater is the land of wide angle and macro.

Macro is just the choice of a 90 versus a 60...

The issue of increased depth of field is valid, but if that is the case, then the micro 4 3rd sensor would be better still.... and a P&S even better.

However, cost being a rather important aspect, give the package costs differences, that would be a vote for the smaller sensor camera's.

It has been a lot of years since I considered going back to the slr underwater.. having had a very nasty failure, but with the advent of much lower cost full frame camera's starting to show up... it is very tempting..

Marcelo:
For wide angle shooting and particularly over/unders with big domes, I think full frame is better. For macro which is most of what I shoot, I think that the APS/C sensors make perfect sense. The megapixel wars are over I think (the Canon G1 has fewer pixels but better IQ then the G10) and things like video are starting to take over. Full frame sensors are now so good that unless you have lots of very wonderful glass and very wonderful compositions, you start to see the limitations of your ports and lenses. Also APS is cheaper and thus easier to upgrade as well. I have one of each but only very rarely shoot the full frame, my APC pics are in my view technically as nice.

Bill

Yeah Puffer Fish... I started this as a film shooter, loved to do multiple exposures and creative shots on film. And was VERY skeptical about digital uw... I skipped the D100 and D70, bought a D50 for topside only, dived a little bit with a D80. Did my last dive with film less than a year ago!
I was also very skeptical on APS-C Sized sensors... VERY.

But once I got it I started to think this way:
You're absolutely right about uwphoto being mostly wide&macro.

Macro wise:
- Today I get a 90mm by the price of a 60mm.
- My beloved 105mm is now a 160mm close to the 200mm that I used to dream about;
- With the crop factor I rarely take my TC out with me, and when I do WOW!
- The new 85DX just add another flavor to it, one more with the 35mm macro.

WA wise:
- I choose my 10.5mm over my 16mm on full frame any day of the week (2x on Sundays);
- The 10-17 can be included above, these new lenses have amazing CUWA capabilities and sharpness.
- The new rectilinear options are also amazing, being it Canon 10-22, Nikon 10-24, Sigma 10-20 etc... the only thing closer (in fact better) to it is the FF 14-24, but it is too big.
- You can use big domes for over-unders if you love them.

ISO:
- Back in film I used to shoot ISO400 max. With my D300 I don't go past 800. Amazing results.

Movies:
- Good to do it, but not the main objective of a DSLR. Nice to add some spice to slide shows shooting video and still of the same subjects.

Size:
- OMG!!! The MDX-D300 housing is almost the exact same size of my NX-80 for my tiny Nikon F80s. Makes better travel, boat space, less air consumption...

Price:
- incomparable with the big boys (D700 & up);

The only thing in favor of FF in my views:
- Viewfinder: A LOT more comfortable, specially UW!
- It is such a better camera when you think of topside photo... I will probably get one just for it!

What you think? For me I think it will be hard to trade my D300 for anything, even the D300s offers just the video... I might keep this one for a while...

Mariozi, You have the perfect reasons for using your D300.... you like the results.

Not everyone has the same expectations or likes the same images...with film, I never used higher than iso 100, and with digital, I don't use anything other than iso 80...but I am a large print nut.

I have sworn that I would not take another slr below the water... but if someone makes a case for the new Panasonic...I'm afraid I would buy it....and do almost the same sort of setup you are using with your D300 (macro lens and wide angle).

To some extent, the only sad part is that technical talk has largely replaced photographic skills, and the type of bokeh can be more important than the quality of the image.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom