Aqua Cat vs Nekton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. After the response, I plan to book with Aqua Cat for November. To Paddler3d, I just want to say that I was on the Blackbeards liveaboard in March of this year and I had a great time. I just wanted to try something in a different location ....... and I love hot showers. Thanks again everyone.

I have done 5 trips on the Aquacat, and 22 trips on the Nekton Boats.

The Aquacat does somewhat the "same itinerary" over and over again.....

does that get old after 5 trips? or is it still good enough to not matter?

I know some folks say they like doing different trips on the Nekton boats for example.

The Aquacat does somewhat the "same itinerary" over and over again.....

does that get old after 5 trips? or is it still good enough to not matter?

I know some folks say they like doing different trips on the Nekton boats for example.

That is why I only dive with them once per year. It is a pretty good itinerary, but once a year is enough for me. MY WIFE really likes the boat, so this year we are doing 2 trips on tne Aquacat.

That is why I only dive with them once per year. It is a pretty good itinerary, but once a year is enough for me. MY WIFE really likes the boat, so this year we are doing 2 trips on tne Aquacat.

does your wife dive? (reason I'm asking is about taking a non diving spouse and how they will like it. like the sundeck, the beach trips, kayaking, etc. is there enough of that to keep them occupied/happy? (Of course I know that will reduce my diving some also))>

Yeah, she has about 800 dives under her belt (only 25 when we met). She usually does 3 or 4 dives /day on Aquacat, and sits one out to do an excursion. I don't think a non-diving spouse would be happy on the boat, unless they were happy to sit around and relax. The alternative activities usually only last 1-2 hours. Mike, not to get into your business, but is there any chance in converting your wife to diver status? It is great to have a ready made dive buddy for your trips. My wife helps me spot my underwater photo subjects.

I looked at both companies when I wanted to do a liveaboard trip-I chose Nekton because it was significantly less expensive, especially considering my trip departed out of Ft Lauderdale so I didn't have to pay airfare to get to Nassau. So it's kind of a filet mignon vs Hamburger Helper sort of thing....both will fill your stomach but one's within my budget while the other's not!:D

there is another liveaboard that does weeklong trips in Bahamas that you should consider, too. Explorer Ventures does a different area than the other two boats:
Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Live-Aboard Diving

We haven't done that trip but have heard nothing but raves about it. There are several trip reports for it here on SB, too. Only negative thing I have heard is that since the boat is a mono-hull it will rock (not great for those prone to seasickness) and the boat does swing around on the mooring making it a bit difficult to get back onboard sometimes. It is a smaller boat than the other two though so less crowded.

Personally, I wouldn't take a non-diving spouse on any liveaboard trip unless they love to snorkel, at the very least. There is NOTHING to do while the divers are gone diving, and the divers talk about nothing but diving. The Nekton does have a DVD player and TV in salon and some people watch movies if they skip dives, but that would get very old. Some people read a book or two and sit in sun between dives... but doing that all day long, alone with no one to talk to.... I don't think too many people would enjoy that. :shakehead:

Mike, not to get into your business, but is there any chance in converting your wife to diver status?

nope... she's just not interested in it. I bought her lessons years ago and she just decided she really didn't want to do with it.

she's content on vacation to sit on the beach reading a book while I go dive.

Personally, I wouldn't take a non-diving spouse on any liveaboard trip unless they love to snorkel, at the very least. There is NOTHING to do while the divers are gone diving, and the divers talk about nothing but diving.

That was kinda my thoughts.... especially on most other liveaboards. but she's the one who liked the idea of the AquaCat because she liked the boat better and they also offered some (but limited) shore trips on an ocassion

I guess it's what you make of it also.

My wife had 2 sit out one Nekton trip and one Aquacat trip earlier this year due to a skiing injury. She just sat on the boat and read. Some people are like that, they are easily entertained. I would have been crawling the walls if I couldn't dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom