Aqua Cat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spstar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Booked on the Aqua Cat Oct. 1-8 05
any tips on it would be great
(things to bring or things Not to bring)

Thanks in advance
Scot

Just did the trip a couple of weeks ago. As for what to bring - NOT MUCH. Scuba gear and a couple changes of dry cloths.

The one thing I forgot: Cold Medicine. Might be a good idea to bring it. I did come down with a cold on the trip. Although you would be surprised how quickly you can get over a cold when you put your mind to it :)

As for tips - the best dive of the week will most likely be the one BEFORE the shark feed. For our group they anchored off at the site "Amberjack" of the feed that morning. We did two dives that morning just swimming around the area. The sharks know the drill and hang out the entire time the boat is there. As for the shark feed that afternoon - to be honest - kind of boring. That same morning they will take a group to the Exuma Land and Sea park. SKIP IT! Actually, I found all the shore excursions rather boring.

The wall's are EXCELLENT in the Exuma's. If they don't do it, make sure you request Crab Mountain. Tons and tons of spotted eagle rays. Plus the wall is AWESOME.

Food was EXCELLET on my trip. We had Chef Kirk cooking for us and I swear I added weight that week!

Other then that - just have a GOOD TIME! If you have any questions before you head off, just PM me. I'm happy to help if I can.

Michael

Thanx

Talon:
Just did the trip a couple of weeks ago. As for what to bring - NOT MUCH. Scuba gear and a couple changes of dry cloths.

The one thing I forgot: Cold Medicine. Might be a good idea to bring it. I did come down with a cold on the trip. Although you would be surprised how quickly you can get over a cold when you put your mind to it :)

As for tips - the best dive of the week will most likely be the one BEFORE the shark feed. For our group they anchored off at the site "Amberjack" of the feed that morning. We did two dives that morning just swimming around the area. The sharks know the drill and hang out the entire time the boat is there. As for the shark feed that afternoon - to be honest - kind of boring. That same morning they will take a group to the Exuma Land and Sea park. SKIP IT! Actually, I found all the shore excursions rather boring.

The wall's are EXCELLENT in the Exuma's. If they don't do it, make sure you request Crab Mountain. Tons and tons of spotted eagle rays. Plus the wall is AWESOME.

Food was EXCELLET on my trip. We had Chef Kirk cooking for us and I swear I added weight that week!

Other then that - just have a GOOD TIME! If you have any questions before you head off, just PM me. I'm happy to help if I can.

Michael

Would you ever go on another Aquacat excurison again? I have been thinking about it for awhile but I am unsure. Thanks

First and foremost! Love the pic in your sig - "AD" is going to win the Heisman this year! Should be interesting to see how he does against TCU this weekend when they stack 8 or 9 people in the box. GO SOONERS!

As for would I do the trip again... Hmm.. Interesting question...

How about "maybe" :) Some people from my group are going back next summer. Me, I'm headed to Bonaire next summer. I'd want to do a lot of other things first before repeating that trip. Don't get me wrong - I have NO REGRETES that I went and have no problems recommending it. For a live aboard, IT IS EXTERMLY nice. If anything disappointed me, it was the marine life. Was sparse on a lot of the dives (usually the walls). But keep in mind, I dive most weekends off the south east coast of Florida where marine life is usually very heavy. So I am a little jaded :)

So ask me again in 5 year and I might say yes :)

Have a GREAT time if you decide to go!

Talon, AD will unload on the hornforgs with ease. Let them stack the box then once we open our air attack it's back to AD. I second that AD will win the heisman and he will be a star in the NFL!!! Boomer Sooner!!! Are you originally from Oklahoma?

I have heard the marine life was so-so but living in OK it sure beats lake tenkiller. LOL!!!

Well if I do go it will be awhile. I am going to Turks & Caicos in May for my honeymoon. Thanks for helping me out!!!!

Yes, I grew up in a small town in Oklahoma called Holdenville. Then after college worked for Kerr-McGee until 96'.

Does Thompson hold the QB position all year or does Bomar take it here pretty soon.

Enjoy the honeymoon! And oh ya.... The diving also :)

My wife and I were on the AquaCat in January and had a great time. We brought 5 mm wetsuits but would have preferred our drysuits as the water ranged from 65-70F this time of year. We usually did four of the five dives each day and didn't miss a single night dive. I agree that the shore excursions aren't very exciting as the islands are mostly uninhabited with very little to do. The diving was nice, maybe not the best but we enjoyed the variety of sites. We also had chef Kirk and enjoyed most everything he made (loved that tomato soup). Captain Ron was quite personable and entertaining. There is an incredible amount of room in the public areas and the cabins were quite roomy and well appointed. We did find the dive crew a little cold to us as we weren't taking any specialties, classes, etc. However, I'm sure that can change in less than a year as the dive crew turnover is typically quite high.

Don't over pack on clothing. You don't need much and definitely nothing "dressy".

Yes, we'd return. I'm hoping to put together a group trip in the next year or so through our shop.

Here's a link to some of my videos from the trip. All are in QuickTime format.
http://www.diversdescent.com/pages/aquacat05movies.html

Talon:
How about "maybe" :) Some people from my group are going back next summer. Me, I'm headed to Bonaire next summer. I'd want to do a lot of other things first before repeating that trip. Don't get me wrong - I have NO REGRETES that I went and have no problems recommending it. For a live aboard, IT IS EXTERMLY nice. If anything disappointed me, it was the marine life. Was sparse on a lot of the dives (usually the walls). But keep in mind, I dive most weekends off the south east coast of Florida where marine life is usually very heavy. So I am a little jaded :)

I dove Aruba in March 05 and want to do B and C to complete the Dutch ABC's I downloaded some of my pics in my album

Nice video miesemer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom