Aqua Lung Core with a Sherwood Gemini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaticexplorer15

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was thinking of buying a Aqua Lung Core which has a pneumatically controlled second stage. Will it work properly with a Sherwood Gemini which a mechanically controlled second stage? I read that you shouldn't mix the two different controlled second stages it could free flow.

Last edited:
Core which has a pneumatically controlled second stage
Gemini which a mechanically controlled second stage?
Could you clarify, what you mean under Control?
May be Pneumatically Balanced?
Difference between Pneumatically Balanced and Unbalansed is:

Balanced has special chamber behind the valve, where is plunger with diameter little less than valve seat orifice.
When hose pressure (also called Intermediate Pressure or IP) will increase, than also will increase contra force to the seat seal. BUT it will increase slowly, than valve opening force. And than at pressure around 12-15-20 (depends on ajustment) bar you will have freeflow of your regulator second stage.
800px-Scuba_regulator_2nd_stage_animation.gif

But this trick allow you to have more weak spring, and allow you to spent less forces for breath holding (keep valve opened).
regs_battle1_8.gif

In case of UNbalanced valve - you have just spring to make contra force to stay valve closed.
It has enough tension to keep valve closed up to 12-15 bar (depends on ajustment), and when IP will increase - you will have freeflow again.
So, as you have NOT additional contraforce - you must have more powerfull spring.
regulator-valve-diagram.gif

And when you start to breath - you have to keep opened valve with more strong force, than for balanced reg.
regs_battle1_5.gif

Red line - is force, required to keep breathing.
Later was invented Ventury effect, and some regulators like Mares Abyss receive special pipe that make force to keep bteathing, same as for balanced regulators etc...

So - all this is just for better understanging how it works :)

Major conclusion - does not matter, what kind of 2nd stage you are using, just freeflow IP means.
Anyway, with normal ajusted regulator you will not have problems with different stages.

P.S. But this coclusion not related to Aqualung Legend and another "Overbalanced" 1st stage regulators - there you have to use pneumobalanced 2ns stages.
P.P.S. but this remark is just for depth over 50m :)

Pneumatically CONTROLLED - Is Poseidon Jetstream or Xstream - it has special servo valve...

The will work fine together.

The first stage on my Blizzard is a balanced piston reg. The Aqualung is a balanced Diaphragm reg. My Sherwood Gemini is a mechanically balanced Octo. The AquaLung Core has a pneumatically balanced second stage, Can I use a mechanically balanced octo with a pneumatically balanced second stage without any issue???

The first stage on my Blizzard is a balanced piston reg. The Aqualung is a balanced Diaphragm reg. My Sherwood Gemini is a mechanically balanced Octo. The AquaLung Core has a pneumatically balanced second stage, Can I use a mechanically balanced octo with a pneumatically balanced second stage without any issue???

Yes with no issues. Your info about having issues is unwarranted. 2nd stages having issues when mixed match only occur because of being matched with a 1st stage that they aren't tuned to. Any issues can always be fixed by a tech on the work bench.

The usual concern would be mixing an Unbalanced 1st stage with Balanced 2nd stages. You wouldn't get the benefit of the balance 2nd stages when your tank gets low.

It should be fine.

R..

Back
Top Bottom