Aqua Lung Pearl i3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, so from the PM you sent me, I see that the price I paid is not really overpriced at all, since I purchased my BC from an authorized AquaLung dealer. I'd rather pay a little more and get the full manufacturer's warranty on something as important as a BC. You can't compare pricing when you're talking about comparing grey market dealers to authorized dealers. It's apples and oranges.
Is the Seaquest Diva xlt an AquaLung product? This one:

Seaquest Diva XLT Women's BCD with Quickdraw weight system from LeisurePro.com

for $375. I am not criticizing your decision to buy from an authorized dealer. But if you paid $450--an extra $75--doesn't that anticipate a 20% problem rate? (Neglecting the time value of money.) That's awfully high for something as important as a BC. If I thought my BC had a 20% chance of giving me problems, I'd buy a different BC. If the cozy feeling of buying from an authorized dealer is worth the money to you, great.

Other Authorized dealers online will price match a gray market dealer. With free shipping includes in the price if the purchase is over a set amount.

AquaLung does not consider someone an "Authorized Dealer" that will actually ship their products to people who purchase online. Check out Aqua Lung's website. And the BC I purchased was AquaLung, so that's what we're talking about, since you said I paid to much for my AquaLung BC.

Is the Seaquest Diva xlt an AquaLung product? This one:

Seaquest Diva XLT Women's BCD with Quickdraw weight system from LeisurePro.com

for $375. I am not criticizing your decision to buy from an authorized dealer. But if you paid $450, an extra $75, doesn't that anticipate a 20% problem rate? (Neglecting the time value of money.) That's awfully high for something as important as a BC. If I thought my BC had a 20% chance of giving me problems, I'd buy a different BC. If the cozy feeling of buying from an authorized dealer is worth the money to you, great.

Not that I'm saying this happens all the time, but let's say there's a recall on the product (which does happen from time to time) and I purchased mine from a grey market dealer ... well I'm out $375, because the manufacturer will not warrantee those items.

I will buy other items ... ones I don't feel are "LIFE SAVING" or are not electronic items from online suppliers (which LP is) But I, like many other divers, will not go grey market when it comes to these items!! It comes down to saving a little money now, but potentially losing a LOT of money later!

I understand. You are buying insurance. The price of your insurance is easily quantified. In this case, you are anticipating a roughly 20% (actually more) chance of problems.

By the way, my gray market Suunto D9 (I think AquaLung owns Suunto) was recalled and the dealer handled the recall through the manufacturer at no cost to me; just as if I'd bought it from an authorized dealer.

I will buy other items ... ones I don't feel are "LIFE SAVING" or are not electronic items from online suppliers (which LP is) But I, like many other divers, will not go grey market when it comes to these items!! It comes down to saving a little money now, but potentially losing a LOT of money later!
For those of us who live in NYC, LeisurePro is a local dive shop. Still gray market, for many items, but not necessarily an internet supplier.

I understand. You are buying insurance. The price of your insurance is easily quantified. In this case, you are anticipating a roughly 20% (actually more) chance of problems.

By the way, my gray market Suunto D9 (I think AquaLung owns Suunto) was recalled and the dealer handled the recall through the manufacturer at no cost to me; just as if I'd bought it from an authorized dealer.

Actually AquaLung is the US distributor of Suunto is a Finnish Company.

For those of us who live in NYC, LeisurePro is a local dive shop. Still gray market, for many items, but not necessarily an internet supplier.

Only half the stuff they sell is gray market, XS scub, aeris, oceanic, cressi are couple of brand that they are authorized dealer for.

No, actually. She's anticipating that whatever the low likelihood of a problem she might run into, it will cost $75 or more to rectify.

For me, $75 on that purchase is pretty cheap peace of mind. For that you get one of the things I like most about buying from an LDS: if something goes wrong I have the ability to walk in, put the item on the counter, look someone in the eye and say "make it right."

No, actually. She's anticipating that whatever the low likelihood of a problem she might run into, it will cost $75 or more to rectify.

For me, $75 on that purchase is pretty cheap peace of mind. For that you get one of the things I like most about buying from an LDS: if something goes wrong I have the ability to walk in, put the item on the counter, look someone in the eye and say "make it right."

ABSOLUTELY!!!

I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather 'make it right' myself...don't really trust someone else to do the work on whatever, unless it has to be performed by the manufacturer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom