Aqua Lung Pearl i3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not all of us that the know-how to do that, SparticleBrane. But if you do ... that's fantastic for you!!

I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather 'make it right' myself...don't really trust someone else to do the work on whatever, unless it has to be performed by the manufacturer.

Any time I've needed to play the "make it right" card it has usually involved getting a brand new one of whatever it is. It's also included "borrow the shop-owner's own" while awaiting repair or replacement. Once it involved "here's a brand new demo DUI suit to use while yours is back at DUI" for several weeks. It can also include a few free fills or some tchotchke or other small item thrown in from time to time.

No, actually. She's anticipating that whatever the low likelihood of a problem she might run into, it will cost $75 or more to rectify.

For me, $75 on that purchase is pretty cheap peace of mind. For that you get one of the things I like most about buying from an LDS: if something goes wrong I have the ability to walk in, put the item on the counter, look someone in the eye and say "make it right."
Well, the most it could cost to rectify is $375, the price of a brand new item. Or, alternatively, the most you could possibly lose is $375 if you bought it from LeisurePro. So if you spend $75 to insure against that loss, (75/375=.20) you are anticipating a 20% chance of complete loss. This is arithmetic, it is not really debatable, and you don't have to be an actuary to understand it.

ChipWD, assuming you were looking at MikeGuerrero's pics, you're right, he doesn't have a typical SPG. But if you look on the lower left high pressure port, you'll see a wireless transmitter. Looks almost like a second on/off valve, or an oversized D cell battery. That means Mike has a hoseless air integrated computer that will give him his tank pressure in addition to the usual depth and no-deco time that most computers provide. A really slick option if you can afford it.

Well, the most it could cost to rectify is $375, the price of a brand new item. Or, alternatively, the most you could possibly lose is $375 if you bought it from LeisurePro.

Ok, we get it. You're a big fan of Leisure Pro. It's been duly noted.

Ok, we get it. You're a big fan of Leisure Pro. It's been duly noted.
You're not affiliated in any way with a local dive shop, are you? Because that could easily bias your point of view. I am a derivatives trader and a former actuary. I couldn't care less if LeisurePro goes broke. I was just trying to provide a simple, intuitive tool to help those not mathematically inclined to roughly quantify their choices. As I said above, if the cozy feeling is worth $75, go for it. I can see a lot of scenarios where it might be--manufacturer's warranty is not among them at this price difference.

As I said above, if the cozy feeling is worth $75, go for it.

But it's not really just about dollars to some people. And it's not just about warranty, although that is a part of it (especially after hearing horror stories of problems people have had in the past). You're trying to make this seem so cut and dry, but it's not.

Any time I've needed to play the "make it right" card it has usually involved getting a brand new one of whatever it is. It's also included "borrow the shop-owner's own" while awaiting repair or replacement. Once it involved "here's a brand new demo DUI suit to use while yours is back at DUI" for several weeks. It can also include a few free fills or some tchotchke or other small item thrown in from time to time.
Ah, you and I were discussing different things -- I was going along the lines of "the dump valve broke" or "I pulled the inflator off", instead of "I destroyed my drysuit." :eyebrow:

But it's not really just about dollars to some people. And it's not just about warranty, although that is a part of it (especially after hearing horror stories of problems people have had in the past). You're trying to make this seem so cut and dry, but it's not.
That's fine. I buy stuff from Pan Aqua sometimes, because they give me good service and because the extra cost isn't material to me. When you said comparing grey market gear with an authorized dealer's is "like apples and oranges" it occurred to me that it isn't; the two are easily and directly comparable, which is what I did. That comparison is cut and dried. If you pay extra because the LDS trains you, dives with you, is nice to you, etc., that is your decision. But I'd hate to see people subscribe to the manufacturer's warranty fiction without giving it any thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom