Aqua Safari being pushed out at the Palace. Replaced by Aqua World.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cicopo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I haven't seen anything here on this topic but it came up yesterday on TA so I thought I'd pass it along the chain. This was posted by Scubaboard member ddebrahdelamar re a question on them being replaced as the in house op.

From Bill Horn, owner of Aqua Safari:

Please be advised that as of August 1, after 21 years in the building, we will no longer be the in-house dive operator for Cozumel Palace. Palace Resorts has made Aqua World the water sports operator for the entire hotel chain.

However, we would still love to have the opportunity be of service to you.

Our waterfront shop is just 3 blocks north of the Cozumel Palace, a five minute walk, and our dive boats can pick you up at the Palace dock.

I firmly believe that no other dive operation can offer the level of service and expertise of Aqua Safari after 42 years in the dive business.

We hope you will consider doing your dives with us,

Best Regards,

Bill Horn

I'm pretty sure that a lot of members here won't appreciate this change.

I haven't seen anything here on this topic but it came up yesterday on TA so I thought I'd pass it along the chain. This was posted by Scubaboard member ddebrahdelamar re a question on them being replaced as the in house op.

From Bill Horn, owner of Aqua Safari:

Please be advised that as of August 1, after 21 years in the building, we will no longer be the in-house dive operator for Cozumel Palace. Palace Resorts has made Aqua World the water sports operator for the entire hotel chain.

However, we would still love to have the opportunity be of service to you.

Our waterfront shop is just 3 blocks north of the Cozumel Palace, a five minute walk, and our dive boats can pick you up at the Palace dock.

I firmly believe that no other dive operation can offer the level of service and expertise of Aqua Safari after 42 years in the dive business.

We hope you will consider doing your dives with us,

Best Regards,

Bill Horn

I'm pretty sure that a lot of members here won't appreciate this change.

I've seen Aquaworld boats; they look like your typical cattle boat op. But business is business; Aquaworld is a lot bigger operation, and they negotiated a deal to be the in-house op for the whole Palace chain. Aqua Safari could not compete on that level, so now they are out. And so it goes.

I wonder if the Palace is going to start refusing to let other ops pick up there or charging a dock fee. I would not be surprised if something like that turns out to be part of the deal they made with Aquaworld.

I've seen Aquaworld boats; they look like your typical cattle boat op. But business is business; Aquaworld is a lot bigger operation, and they negotiated a deal to be the in-house op for the whole Palace chain. Aqua Safari could not compete on that level, so now they are out. And so it goes.

I wonder if the Palace is going to start refusing to let other ops pick up there or charging a dock fee. I would not be surprised if something like that turns out to be part of the deal they made with Aquaworld.

SPot on! I hate this change, but Aqua World is a mega corporation throughout Mexico and independent operations, regardless of their great reputation and tenure in this location cannot compete against the incentives, commissions, etc. that AW can offer the hotel.

However, I think it's still a HUGE mistake for Palace to make. Unlike other destinations, Cozumel is a divers haven and SEASONED divers frequent Cozumel and The Palace. AW caters to novice divers who don't know any better vs. seasoned divers who know what they want. Aqua Safari has and will continue to have a loyal following. I predict that Cozumel Palace will see a huge drop in their in house diving services.

As far as pier charges - this is one point I have to give in favor of the Palace management. Aqua World WANTED to implement a pier fee - but Palace adamantly said in so many words, "NO, we will NOT charge our hotel guests to use the pier."

I consider Bill Horn a friend as well as MANY of the staff members. You don't get to be a 40+ year old dive operation on this island without a strong leader and a strong staff! Aqua Safari and the staff have my support!

Thank you for sharing this info Cicopo.

Well stated words Christi :)

I have to agree with Christi's view on this. On top of that pier fees shouldn't be imposed because the Palace owns that pier, whereas Aqua World owns the one by the Park Royal. I've recently read where Aqua World has even tried to charged snorkelers for using that pier.

Isn't Cozumel Palace the hotel formerly known as Plaza Las Glorious?

SPot on! I hate this change, but Aqua World is a mega corporation throughout Mexico and independent operations, regardless of their great reputation and tenure in this location cannot compete against the incentives, commissions, etc. that AW can offer the hotel.

However, I think it's still a HUGE mistake for Palace to make. Unlike other destinations, Cozumel is a divers haven and SEASONED divers frequent Cozumel and The Palace. AW caters to novice divers who don't know any better vs. seasoned divers who know what they want. Aqua Safari has and will continue to have a loyal following. I predict that Cozumel Palace will see a huge drop in their in house diving services.

As far as pier charges - this is one point I have to give in favor of the Palace management. Aqua World WANTED to implement a pier fee - but Palace adamantly said in so many words, "NO, we will NOT charge our hotel guests to use the pier."

I consider Bill Horn a friend as well as MANY of the staff members. You don't get to be a 40+ year old dive operation on this island without a strong leader and a strong staff! Aqua Safari and the staff have my support!

Well said Christi! Aqua Safari is an excellent operation with a great staff. We will be back with them in August to show our support! :D

Plaza las Glorias, si.
That's a shame. My buddy Jimmy took his OW back in 2000 with them. The instructor was great!

I'm sure their loyal customers will still be willing to walk a few blocks.

We have used Aqua Safari a few times and were very happy with there service

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom