Aqua Safari being pushed out at the Palace. Replaced by Aqua World.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pretty sure that a lot of members here won't appreciate this change.

Thanks for sharing.
I believe that this changes have NO impact on my next trip.
I will dive with AquaSafari.

This is sad news. While I have never stayed at the Cozumel Palace, I dive with Aqua Safari regularly and know they provide great service. Back when I was first getting into diving I choose to use AquaWorld for a two-tank dive while in Cancun. Never again.

Where is AquaWorld currently located in Cozumel anyway?

Hopefully the folks that worked for Aqua Safari at the Palace will be able to be reassigned. I did my OW certification with them a year and half ago while staying at the Palace and these people were first class and very helpful with all of my questions. It stinks that business is business, but I think AS's reputation will keep them strong with their current customer base. Good Luck to them.

They are the in-house dive op of the Park Royale.......(and I agree with your sentiments!).......the nasty part is just how MANY will confuse the two since their names both begin with the word "Aqua".........they are worlds apart!

Betsy

I am very sorry to hear that Aqua Safari is being pushed out of Cozumel Palace. I am not surprised, being a Palace Premier Member of the Palace Resorts I am aware that the other resorts on the Yucatan mainland have Aqua World for the onsite dive ops. Guess it was a matter of time before they would want the Cozumel resort. I found out last June that the Cozumel Palace does indeed own the pier and being the class resort business that they are it is no surprise to me that they would refuse having their customer pay a fee to use the pier if they chose a different dive op other than AW.

Years ago I booked several days of diving with AW at the Moon Palace near Cancun. My wife and I waited out front of the hotel the next morning to be picked up by AW as they instructed. 45 minutes and AW was a no show, we then talked to the person I set the dives up with and checking the computer he said I had been scheduled for next week. After stating that I had been very clear about the fact that I was leaving before next week and that he remembered me saying that, he could not refund my money that they made me pay in advance. He said regardless the fact that it was their employee's mistake, that I would have do one of their chessy tours for credit of the cash I paid. NEVER AGAIN will I deal with this company.

I also agree that they are a cattle boat operation geared up for the Cruise boats.

This is sad news.

Well, yes, from Aqua Safari's POV, since they won't any longer have the benefit of walk-ins who are guests of the Palace and haven't chosen a dive op. From the POV of a diver who wants to dive with AS, however, it makes very little difference, since AS's office is very close by and the Palace is on record as saying that they will allow ops other than Aquaworld to pick up there and won't be charging them a dock usage fee.

I've seen many of AW boats out on the reef. It looks like lemmings jumping into the sea.

All Sb'ers have the option to go to the resort that AS is the in-house dive shop. Or if you still wish to stay at the palace, vote with your $$$'s and go with AS. As Christi said, AW is focused on novice divers. I think advanced divers and those wanting a more personalized service will only make the mistake one time.

Bigger is usually not better with dive ops. However, bigger is better when negotiating deals with hotels. There is money changing hands on these deals.

Too bad. Never dove with them, but I always stick to the smaller operations.

Best of luck to Bill and his customers.

I just got back from Cozumel Palace. As always, I dove with Aqua Safari. They are and always have been a great operation. I am so disappointed they are no longer the in-house operator at Palace. When they were there they offered such great service. There was always a representative at the equipment desk by the pier. Aquaworld has no representative to be found anywhere outside the shop at the front of the building. Also, I liked the fact that Aqua Safari would set you up with free shore dives. Aquaworld didn't even have anyone there to speak with about shore diving. Palace made a bad move. They will lose hardcore diver guests due to this.

We are Palace members and are not suprised they refused to charge their guests pier fees. On a side note, (this offer was available w/Aqua Safari before the change) they offer 1 free 2 tank dives per guest per 1 week stay. Saying that, even at no charge we had no desire to take them up on that offer. I am curious how many others didn't use that offer because it was AquaWorld. The definitely are cattle boats!

Back
Top Bottom