Aqua Scuba - Open water course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slenderff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My son has been checking out various shops to do his open water certification. Aqua Scuba first quoted him $375 + rental of the book, then dropped to $300 including rental of the book and certification in 2 days. All the other places said 3 day minimum and you needed your own book(which you keep). He has decided that they are not who he wants to learn with and has gone to another shop, unless i am mistaken what they have offered cannot be correct, how do they not have to have the same rules as everyone else? and how do they get away with this.

You can do a minimalist OW course in three days, and that is what's on offer in most resort environments. A non-profit-making course with a dive club that extends over five or six days or even more is considerably preferable (mine was spread over several months), but in these days of expected instant gratification businesses have to provide what customers want, or the customers go elsewhere. I can't think of any way in which it can be done in two days though, not even if the student has done a great deal of book preparation beforehand.

I should have added that this is forced on businesses by the widespread focussing on price to the exclusion of almost everything else.

My son has been checking out various shops to do his open water certification. Aqua Scuba first quoted him $375 + rental of the book, then dropped to $300 including rental of the book and certification in 2 days. All the other places said 3 day minimum and you needed your own book(which you keep). He has decided that they are not who he wants to learn with and has gone to another shop, unless i am mistaken what they have offered cannot be correct, how do they not have to have the same rules as everyone else? and how do they get away with this.

I think your son made a very wise decision. If he still is intent on Ambergris, then I'd like to suggest Rudy Duran at Island Divers: Welcome to Island Divers Belize On several trips diving with Rudy I've seen his teaching in action. Last visit he was working with a 12yr old girl and 13yr old brother. He has a great team and will be equally well priced. I last dove with his group for a week this last March. :42:

Or what about PETERBJ7 who posts here he is a excellent experienced instrutor with years and years of experience and you can be 100% sure he will follow all the course outlines to ensure a SAFE competant diver is produced at the end of the course.

Peter gets my vote although Rudy is also a good choice as is Elbert Greer from Whitesands Diveshop.

Gaz Cooper

Last edited:
Regrettably just did some diving with Aqua Scuba and I think you will find far better shops out there. While they are the cheapest shop on the island, I found them quite unprofessional and unsafe. Their gear did not seam to be well maintained and when other divers had issues with tanks and regulators, they just replaced them, while not tagging out the other equipment problems.

They also deemed it safe when they took a 10 year old diver down to 60 ft when their depth limit is 40ft. I wasn't the least bit impressed or felt comfortable knowing that they would do this with a child. I've seen alot of adults dive outside of the recommended depth limits as per their training, but I wouldn't be pushing children.

I also found that their guides gave the guest very direct suggestions towards tipping them, through stories about not making enough money, supporting their families, specifically how much their rent was. I've been working in the dive industry for 6 years on and off in various countries with different standards of living, and while I made peanuts compared to what they say they are making, I have never found it professional in ANY way to talk to guest about how little I made so that they could feel sorry for me and give me tips.

Gaz and Peter make very good suggestions. I would take their recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom