Aquacat liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does the Aquacat allow for killing Lionfish?? I'm not the hunter underwater usually but if we can help thin the population of LF I am all about getting fish for the fish tacos!
Aquacat used to allow Lionfish spearing on SCUBA, but now they only allow it when free-diving.

We did the Aquacat in March 2009 & 2010. I'd give the boat and crew a 10, the diving a 7. Can only reiterate what others have said, food is fantastic, cabins are great, great boat (particularly the dive deck) layout.

Aquacat used to allow Lionfish spearing on SCUBA, but now they only allow it when free-diving.

Any idea why? I'd love to have the option to take a crack at them.

Richard.

Richard.
I think they said it had to do with some guests getting stung, and wanting compensation, but that does not explain why they still allow it on free diving.

Richard.

We just did the Sundancer II in Belize and they did allow some guests to hunt the lionfish. The DMs would cut the spines off so there was little chance of any guest getting stung. Some they left for other fish/creatures to eat, some they bagged. They fried them up for us too. Tasty!

They used to have a permit from fisheries to spear lionfish on scuba when they were collecting for NOAA but the permit expired.

They used to have a permit from fisheries to spear lionfish on scuba when they were collecting for NOAA but the permit expired.
Yes, that is what they told us, and that it was allowed to expire for the reasons stated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom