Aqualung and gray markets...FYI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, one question: Are the products LP is selling counterfeit, or are they actual Aqualung, Sp, Diverite gear?

For the most part they are all the "real deal". they might be European models or "last years" model though. They may not have all the choices that the manufacturer sells for example.

Or they could be the 'brand new' model. For example, LP had the new Aqualung ACD regulators in stock before the big AL dealers had them. that right there should tell you where LP gets its stock from. (after all, LP is AL's biggest 'dealer').

I think there was a case a while back of some counterfit BC's or something....

See my post above. The law makes it very easy for a trademark holder to stomp all over a merchant selling counterfeit goods, show up with the FBI and seize the goods, and destroy them. I have never heard of such a thing happening to any major Scuba retailer. Anyone else?

See my post above. The law makes it very easy for a trademark holder to stomp all over a merchant selling counterfeit goods, show up with the FBI and seize the goods, and destroy them. I have never heard of such a thing happening to any major Scuba retailer. Anyone else?

heard of the FBI raiding scuba shops? only when they thought terrorist were taking dive training....

they could care less about a counterfeit BC. But there have been some past cases of this happening at LP. But I think that was a long time ago......

Here's one example: Fake BC's sold by Leisure Pro.

However, there are example of the BC you got just not being exactly what is advertised. Or it didn't come with an english manual, which the state that's possible on their website.

I saw a used counterfeit scubapro BCD on ebay once. Everything looked correct except it was missing the right shoulder pull dump. When I asked the seller about it, he removed the item. The story I heard is that a scubapro assembler continued to knock out some BCDs after their contract ended.

they could care less about a counterfeit BC. But there have been some past cases of this happening at LP. But I think that was a long time ago......

Authorities raid flea markets for knock off movies, purses, jeans, and shoes all the time. Why would they care less about BC's than they do about jeans? You don't hear about counterfeit dive gear because there just isn't very much of it out there.

As a customer, I think manufacturers and local shops would do more for themselves if they were upfront about the situation and explained that you can buy a product from us for $X with warranty and support, or you can buy it from them for $Y without. Then, go on to explain why you think warranty and support are worth the extra money.

When retailers and manufactures use lies, innuendo, and half-truths to handle the situation, they loose credibility on a whole host of other issues too. Once divers learn that there are thousands of other divers using gear from gray market sources without major problems, the reputation of local shops and manufacturers takes a big hit. Without a reputation for honest advice and solid recommendations, what advantage does a local shop have?

It's a smart marketing move, and the only way they can retain control of pricing and profitability.

People can complain all they want, but in the end it's all about the money. If the plan wasn't profitable and good for their company, they wouldn't do it. Terry

I live about three hours from New York City. I have work there several times a year. Usually I stop at the Leisure Pro store to see what is new and interesting. They always have the latest products and great pricing. They have the usual New York retail attitude but no pressure to buy. The local dive stores are the direct opposite. They want to talk about who is authorized to sell, how much the warranty is worth and all the same tired BS. Result for me is I have purchased way more from Leisure Pro. No regrets here.

So, one question: Are the products LP is selling counterfeit, or are they actual Aqualung, Sp, Diverite gear?

Read post #19. I am one of the few who has actually WRITTEN about his LP purchase.

I bought my aqualung products for the fact they are Canadian as I am. No I don't dislike American product since I have alot of scuba gear from American based companies, I just try and spread it out evenly. Now saying that I dont like company's that sell a product to another and because they don't like the type of sales being online or not won't warranty a product they made in the first place. BS is what it is. LDS cant show prices in there web pages because companies dont want others to see any promotion or deals at cost. Again BS. The LDS suffer because Suppliers dictate the sales. If they know there product is popular they will basically tell the LDS how and what to sell for. It isn't the LDS fault, but they suffer I agree. I see alot of LDS have gone with online sales direct from their stores, so now will they to be cut off as say some other high well known online suppliers . I know the difference between knock offs, a pair of Oakley glases are not 20 bucks... Again buyer beware!! That goes for scuba gear, and aqualung wont get a dime of my money If they continue to try and dictate to me, the guy who's paying their wages. They need to remember that..WE PAY THEIR WAGES, without us they are broke! maybe we need to DICTATE that to them a little more!

It isn't the LDS fault, but they suffer I agree.
No, it is the LDSs fault. The Aqualung and Scubapro distributors are not holding their first born hostage to force them to carry those brands. Most even treat them as their leading brand. If the LDS doesn't want those kinds of restrictions, it would be simple to down play and eventually drop those lines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom