Aqualung Calypso, Sherwood Brut or Cressi XS2/AC2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dylanshoemaker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, I'm fairly new to scuba diving and just recently decided after my 20th dive that I would like to own my own gear. However, being on an extremely tight budget, I realize that I will have to start out with some very basic equipment. So I have narrowed down my considerations to the aqualung calypso, Sherwood Brut or Cressi XS2/AC2 based on the fact that I can get all three with their corresponding octos(which I would like for ease of maintenance) for under 300 dollars. I realize that the design and function of these are very similar and don't expect mid or high end performance out of them, I was just wondering if one is generally considered better performing or more reliable. I only have experience with the calypso and it performed perfect to 100 feet, and my usage of it would likely stay in this range, as well as mostly warmer water diving. I am also from michigan and while I would definitely rent a higher performing reg with dives below 50 degrees, it would be nice if I could use my own for some "relatively" warm great lakes diving. Thanks for your input/suggestions!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

I would look at either AL or the Sherwood. Cressi does not have the dealer network in the US the other two have. The Brut and Calypso have unbalanced piston first stages and unbalanced downstream seconds. They are not going to be the best performers.

If you are open to other brands I would recommend the HOG, Dive Right, or Hollis closeouts. You can get a much better performing regulator at around the same price. Another option is Dolphin Scuba was selling on eBay new Oceanic Delta 4 for $199 first and second. You can pick up a Delta 4 octo for $100.

I would look at either AL or the Sherwood. Cressi does not have the dealer network in the US the other two have. The Brut and Calypso have unbalanced piston first stages and unbalanced downstream seconds. They are not going to be the best performers.

If you are open to other brands I would recommend the HOG, Dive Right, or Hollis closeouts. You can get a much better performing regulator at around the same price. Another option is Dolphin Scuba was selling on eBay new Oceanic Delta 4 for $199 first and second. You can pick up a Delta 4 octo for $100.

I would worry about the maintenance availability for the dive right, and the HOG looks to be DIN only, but the hollis looks almost too good to be true, have you personally used it? Is maintenance difficult or expensive? Is the closeout just because they are releasing a new model?

Hello, I'm fairly new to scuba diving and just recently decided after my 20th dive that I would like to own my own gear. However, being on an extremely tight budget, I realize that I will have to start out with some very basic equipment. So I have narrowed down my considerations to the aqualung calypso, Sherwood Brut or Cressi XS2/AC2 based on the fact that I can get all three with their corresponding octos(which I would like for ease of maintenance) for under 300 dollars. I realize that the design and function of these are very similar and don't expect mid or high end performance out of them, I was just wondering if one is generally considered better performing or more reliable. I only have experience with the calypso and it performed perfect to 100 feet, and my usage of it would likely stay in this range, as well as mostly warmer water diving. I am also from michigan and while I would definitely rent a higher performing reg with dives below 50 degrees, it would be nice if I could use my own for some "relatively" warm great lakes diving. Thanks for your input/suggestions!

I would tend to agree that the Sherwood & the USD are the better choices from an availablity POV. I would also agree that neither of them are good breathers. I started out with a Brut back in the 90's and when I got a balanced reg it was like night & day.

Go for something that is balanced NOW. It will save you time, trouble, & $ in the long run. I can't say that I know anything about HOG, Diveright or Hollis, but do some digging on the major brands like Scubapro & Sherwood before you make a decision.

FWIW,

I've always had Sherwoods, some 25 years old, and never had a problem with one. Their air-bleed design keeps them environmentally sealed, clean and dry inside. Bulletproof.

Plus you can find them very cheap - just saw some first stages go on ebay for $20 each.

Of the choices given, I would definitely choose the Calypso. The very similar Scubapro Mark 2 would also be a fine.

I have no experience with Sherwood but of the other two you've listed id choose the Calypso. As had already been posted AL has a huge network, cressi by comparison unless you're in the EU is tiny in comparison. The Calypso is often found in rental fleets in part because it's very robust and reliable. If you stretch your budget a little the older AL Titan is an excellent reg. Good luck choosing.

Thank you for your suggestions and advice, i just ordered the Hollis DC3/212 setup, seeing as it is a sub brand of oceanic and a shop near by will definitely work on it, it looks like an incredible deal, and i couldn't find a consistent complaint about it looking through these forums. Now I'm just curious as to what would be a good, inexpensive octo to pair it with that won't give me issues as far as serviceability or reliability. Any suggestions?

I'd go with another Hollis 212 second stage. Put a yellow hose on it and your set. I recommend getting two second stages of the same type for several reasons: ease of maintenance/rebuild, I am of the opinion that the OOA diver receive the second stage that I am using (I know it works) and I go to the octo. Plus if both second stages are the same, you will know the breathing characteristics of the regulator and how to have it set/tuned.

I would worry about the maintenance availability for the dive right, and the HOG looks to be DIN only, but the hollis looks almost too good to be true, have you personally used it? Is maintenance difficult or expensive? Is the closeout just because they are releasing a new model?

I see you already purchased the Hollis so I will keep it short. One of the "not so secret" secrets of the dive industry is that there are only a few OEMs that make gear worldwide. I know the Hog and DR are made by ODS in Taiwan and I think Hollis may be also. The designs are similar so the breathing should be comparable. I am not sure where the Delta 4 is made. That is an older design from the 80s that has been upgraded over time. I own the HOG and older Delta 2 models. All the regulators I posted have balanced first and second stages except for the Delta 4. The second stage on the Delta 4 is unbalanced. Any of them should breath better than the three you originally listed.

---------- Post added May 4th, 2015 at 10:36 AM ----------

Now I'm just curious as to what would be a good, inexpensive octo to pair it with that won't give me issues as far as serviceability or reliability. Any suggestions?

Because you purchased a Hollis, part of the Oceanic family, I would recommend a Hollis, Oceanic, or Aeris octopus, the reason is that all brands are serviced by the same dealers. If you can afford it, I second the idea to purchase another 212 second stage (or even a second set), next I would recommend the Delta 4 I linked to for $100 or so. It is an adjustable second stage that can be tuned down to avoid free flows. You can also look at used octos on ebay

Back
Top Bottom