Aqualung Changing with the Times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbrich

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Looks like Aqualung has gone online for equipment purchases. How the mighty have fallen.

2009 Aqua Lung Catalog

The only company that does not sell online is Scubapro, but time will take them too.

When they bought SeaQuest I thought they had made a good move; now the Wave is the only non-integrated AL BC?

eBay and Salvation Army are where I scored both the blue SeaQuest BC's I use, 'cause they don't make 'em like I like 'em any more (blue & non-integrated). :shakehead:

I was a loyal SQ fan; still have the SeaQuest vest I became an Instructor in (now brown), all my student BC's are SeaQuest vests (blue/brown) and I have a pink/black SeaQuest vest for Cinderella when I find her (eBay too).

There are some generics I guess I'll have to look more closely at; the major manufacturers seem to think I'm a moron with a fat wallet.

Well, Atomic has had a proxy buy system for a while. You buy the mask and their middleman routes the sale through a store somewhere so they still get the sale.

The AL merchant system seems to be different in that it tries to route your purchase to a local shop.

I am not sure what business model they are trying to replicate. For instance, Barnes and Noble doesn't even boost its franchises sales by routing internet sales to the closest store. They just a real supply chain logistics system to handle internet shopping.

It may makes the LDS people happy, but ultimately it could serve to damage the Aqua Lung brand. It was different before in getting terrible service when you walk into a shop to something. However, people who buy on the internet, through AL's web site, will associate bad service with AL. There is a quality control problem with programs like these.

How the mighty have fallen..... but time will take them too.

.... the major manufacturers seem to think I'm a moron with a fat wallet.

... but ultimately it could serve to damage the Aqua Lung brand. ..... will associate bad service with AL. There is a quality control problem with programs like these.

So when did this fail? Last night... or was it yesterday morning? :idk:

The only company that does not sell online is Scubapro, but time will take them too.
You are behind on the news given that it has already happended. Scubapro does the same thing - they will make an on-line sale then route customer through a shop close to them that stocks the item.

It allows internet access, but is still in the end a face to face sales.

And lets be realistic. Scubapro recently discontinued the Terra and now has none in stock to seel throuigh authorized dealers if a customer wanted to get one through a legitamate source. Coincidentally, they showed up on Leisure Pro for $599, meaning either a lot of dealers bought the close out stock and immediately passed it on to leisure pro at very low markup, or SP sold it to LP directly.

Either way, Scubapro is very much into internet sales.

You are behind on the news given that it has already happended. Scubapro does the same thing - they will make an on-line sale then route customer through a shop close to them that stocks the item.

It allows internet access, but is still in the end a face to face sales.

And lets be realistic. Scubapro recently discontinued the Terra and now has none in stock to seel throuigh authorized dealers if a customer wanted to get one through a legitamate source. Coincidentally, they showed up on Leisure Pro for $599, meaning either a lot of dealers bought the close out stock and immediately passed it on to leisure pro at very low markup, or SP sold it to LP directly.

Either way, Scubapro is very much into internet sales.

If I am behind on the news then, where is my tankless diving equipment. :shocked2:

I know all the major brands sells to online retailers but Scubapro and Aqualung are the two major manufacturers that took a very strong stand against online purchases, not online sales. Hell it's even on their website. Before I posted this, I did a SB search for Aqualung online sales, and no one gave a link to the Aqualung Online Store.

Aqualung: Warranty & Registration

Unauthorized Dealer Warning
Aqua Lung products are only available through authorized dealers and on the internet from the Aqua Lung Store. Any retailer that offers to sell and ship our life support products by mail, for orders placed by phone or the internet, is doing so without our permission. Such retailers are NOT authorized Aqua Lung Dealers. Only internet sales via the Aqua Lung Store are authorized and in such cases your purchase will be shipped directly from Aqua Lung to your specified address or to an authorized Aqua Lung retailer where you can pick it up. If you obtain Aqua Lung products from an unauthorized dealer your warranty will not be valid and we cannot offer you the assurances of quality and satisfaction afforded by the Aqua Lung Warranty Program. If you would like to verify whether or not a retailer is an authorized Aqua Lung Dealer, please check the dealer locator.

Scubapro:Consumer Alerts - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

IMPORTANT: Any SCUBAPRO or UWATEC equipment purchased from a non-aurthorized source will not be covered by the SCUBAPRO UWATEC warranties. These non-aurthorized sources include internet and direct marketing companies, who obtain our products from questionable sources and do not undergo the rigorous training programs necessary for proper representation of our products. Nor can we assure you that products obtained from these sources have not been altered or modified.

What I was refer to, Aqualung is selling online direct from their website, so they have to give warranties, unless they planned to scam a lot of people. Granted you have to select a local dealer so they can get the credit for sale. I just bought a pair of gloves, and I was charged shipping and tax, so we'll see if the product comes from the dealer I selected or some other place. I am not bad mouthing Aqualung for doing it; I am glad they did because now I can find the MSRP on their computers and regulators, without calling up the dealer who usually tells me "why don't you come on in, and we can get you a deal on it". We live in the internet age, where people communicate and buy stuff online. When I went to their website last week, they did not have the store up.

As of 7:20 am, December 16, 2009, Central Standard Time, Scubapro USA does not have a link to allow online purchasing, but they do have dealer locator, but what scuba manufacturer does not have that. After digging around, I came across a link for Scubapro Direct but the link goes to a blank white page, this might be Scubapro's online store, but I am making a big assumption on that.

So when did this fail? Last night... or was it yesterday morning? :idk:

I never said they failed, I said they have fallen (or changed their company policy about online purchases, to a small degree). The once mighty company that took a very strong stand against online purchasing, is now selling online from their website. Some of the dealers will have to change their sell story now, and I have heard some pretty wild ones. :rofl3:

All I am saying is they are changing how they sell gear, that's all.

On line sales or no it still seems they are controling the price. Everything looks like MSRP to me. I know my LDS will give me a better price than AL.

I'm not sure how this venture helps the Aqualung customer.....

I mean why would I want to pay full list price for an internet product when I get it much cheaper elsewhere?

So will ScubaStore....
TEC3 set... $1295.00 vs. $911.77

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom