Aqualung Conself, Aquarius, Calypso???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the things you need to watch out for with Conshelf regulators is that they do vary in the number and size of ports from version to version. There is a good thread on the differences at the VDH website. In short, the Conshelf 21 and 22 first stages use industry standard ports, from what I remember the other ones can vary one way or another. So you need to be careful unless you are willing to use either special hoses or adaptors.

The Conshelf XIV set arrived yesterday and it looks very nice externally. I put it on a HP tank and it seemed to be fine, no leaks, breathed good, purge worked and the SPG was accurate. I have to get the tools and parts ordered and I'm waiting for the books Herman recommended to arrive. I am planning to replace all the rubber parts so I'll know the age and condition from the first dive on. Any recommendations or comments on this?

The Conshelf XIV set arrived yesterday and it looks very nice externally. I put it on a HP tank and it seemed to be fine, no leaks, breathed good, purge worked and the SPG was accurate. I have to get the tools and parts ordered and I'm waiting for the books Herman recommended to arrive. I am planning to replace all the rubber parts so I'll know the age and condition from the first dive on. Any recommendations or comments on this?

Take photographs as you go. I have a few older Conshelfs and a Caplypso that I've put back in use thanks to Heman, Luis and others on the boards. I found it helpful to have some quick pics to refer to when assembling them. I always enjoy a good project and am looking forward to how yours turns out. Put some pics up here too when you're finished. Or even as you go if you have questions or difficulties. The fellows here and on the other vintage sites are always willing to lend a hand.

Don

Some before photos. IMGP8147.jpgIMGP8148.jpgIMGP8149.jpgIMGP8150.jpgIMGP8151.jpgIMGP8152.jpgIMGP8153.jpgIMGP8154.jpgIMGP8155.jpgIMGP8156.jpgIMGP8157.jpgIMGP8158.jpg

Congratulations! It seems like you scored a Conshelf 14 in great condition. The exhaust tee looks in great shape, you may not need to replace it. I was going to warn you to double-check the size of the HP port before buying new hoses but it looks like it already has an adaptor on it.

As far as the Aqualung Conself, Aquarius, Calypso regs are concerned, which uses the least amount of tools/specail tools to rebuild?

(I just scored an Aquarius 1st Stage off Craig's List for basically nothing, so I'm interested in rebuilding. )
This cheesy video shows how easy the Aquarius is to work on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM3wv31NKgQ

Things are getting closer to overhaul day. Vance Harlow's "Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair" book arrived yesterday along with the parts sets. I'm waiting on the tools I ordered and one more book. Harlow's book is great at explaining how and why regulators do what they do. Once I started reading I had a hard time stopping. I'll update you as things progress.

Keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask questions. Reg servicing is pretty easy and no where the rocket science some want you to believe.

FedEx just delivered "Regulator Savvy" and I'm so impressed with this book! Thanks Herman, this is exactly what I was looking for. I'll be doing some serious reading today and tonight. The quality of both books is very impressive. I ordered the spiral bound editions of both. The heavy weight paper of the pages and the quality printing and diagrams are great.

I want some time to read and understand what I'm about to do and then I'll start on the regs. I will be asking questions and taking lots of photos as I go.

Be aware that the "Regulator Savvy" is the one that has true regulator pneumatic theory. This book is very good at explaining the theory and the physics behind a regulator.
Vance Harlow's "Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair" is a great book kind of like a how-to cook book. Don't use it to understand the theory. His explanation of the physics are not always technically accurate. But it is a great reference book, with very good how-to and a lot of good practical information.

Back
Top Bottom