Aqualung Dimension i3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you still use your i3 Mike? If not, why did you stop?

Hey Kern,

I dove my i3 for about the first 100 dives before going to the infamous darkside of the force, backplate with wings... LOL

The i3 served it's purpose for my type of diving in the beginning. It was and is a very simple BC to use, comfort and simple to inflate/deflate..

Bouyancy control was just a snap of a touch, which made it such a great BC to manuever tight areas around kelp and boulders in Monterey.

Very rugged material also that took a lot of abuse.

I left this BC when I got a drysuit since I wanted my wing behind me not around me. It made controling two air bladders much easier to keep a horizontal trim of which I enjoy much more since going dry.

Hope that helps out...

MG

I left this BC when I got a drysuit since I wanted my wing behind me not around me. It made controling two air bladders much easier to keep a horizontal trim of which I enjoy much more since going dry.
Mike, you'll be happy to find out that the i3 feature is now offered on rear-inflate BCDs in the Seaquest line. Now you can have your cake and eat it, too.

Mike, you'll be happy to find out that the i3 feature is now offered on rear-inflate BCDs in the Seaquest line. Now you can have your cake and eat it, too.
Where did you see this? I can't find anything about i3 rear inflate BCDs. Or are you talking about the Dimension i3?

Is it easy to operate the i3 lever when effecting a rescue of an unresponsive diver using an i3 BCD at depth (found with reg in mouth)?

The reason I ask this question is that, with a conventional corrugated hose and power inflater, the rescuer can visualize the unresponsive diver's power inflater, dump air conveniently, and add air easily (power or oral) all with left hand manipulation. The i3 system separates the point of control for power inflation/deflation and oral inflation. It's a minor point, but it should be considered in the context of a rescue scenario. I suppose if the mechanism catches on in the scuba community, rescue students will learn to "feel around" for the i3 lever and rapidly switch to the oral inflation hose if necessary. To me, it seems like the new device is unnecessarily complicated, though.

I just did a rescue class with myself and two other students in the I3, three students in regular inflater bc. It was a learning experience for all involved, but not difficult for the rescuer to handle. All in all the inflation lever is not new to diving so I think it is a good thing to incorporate it into training as early as possible. Having different gear configurations really enforces the buddy check prior to the dive. My students learned fast that they need to know what gear their buddy has in order to assist in a timely manner.

All in all the inflation lever is not new to diving so I think it is a good thing to incorporate it into training as early as possible.
Great. If these new BCDs are out in the wild, it makes sense to incorporate how to work with them in a rescue class. I hope your students got a sense for how their own gear choices might hinder/help if they were ever to find themselves in a rescue scenario (as a victim or a rescuer).

FWIW, the i3 lever concept, in principle, appears to be similar to the Mares Air Trim gadgetry:

I'd love to take apart the i3 and see how it works inside. It will be interesting to see how robust the i3 mechanism is over the long-term and how much it will cost to repair it should a part wear out. In comparison, the standard power inflater assemblies and one-piece dump valves have been around for a long time, are very reliable, and are very easy/inexpensive to service.
Having different gear configurations really enforces the buddy check prior to the dive. My students learned fast that they need to know what gear their buddy has in order to assist in a timely manner.
Another wonderful lesson.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom